Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what should i consider when making a frog of a wood other than ebony?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by FractalUniverse, Jan 30, 2005.

1. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    I'm a german bow player, and my e-bass teacher gave me a very old pernambuco french bow(that he doesn't use) in exchange of a really good microphone (i had) for his studio.

The thing is that i want to make, with the help of some very skilled people i know, a new german frog.

Ebony is not a common wood here in Chile, but there is some local wood of remarkable quality. The piece of wood i want to use is really old, it's has more than 100 years, and it dried naturally. It's dense, flexible and not too heavy.

The wood is white with a vey soft red.
    please give me your input
    i will really appreciate that
    thanks
    Esteban Lobos D.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    You should be aware, and perhaps you are, that the difference between German and French bows extend beyond simply the frog.

German bows are cambered differently than French.

Also, the tip of the bow of a particular type is cut in such a way as to presume the line of the hair and the height of the frog.

I don't think simply interchanging them is going to necessarily a positive result.

3. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    i'm aware of what you're saying

i forgot to mention.....
    my double bass teacher uses as his main bow an old french converted to german...

thanks for your input

4. Ben Joella

Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    I imagine that the wood your are telling us about is plenty strong for the job, but you may want to consider that weight may be an issue when it comes to how the completed bow responds.

Either way, it sounds like a fun project.

5. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    well, i'll tell you people when i get the frog done.
    and yes it is a fun project :hyper:

6. can't tell you about the wood considerations but I can say that my current bow is a french with a german frog transplanted on.
    The local luthier happened to have a frog that was a nice fit....

7. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    good to know.

and actually there's a 50 % of the new frog done, but the most difficult part is still waiting...