what should i do about my lakland vs.j bass dilemna?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Starrchild, Nov 22, 2001.

1. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    yesterday i wen't to a music store just to look and saw a sweet looking 75 jazz re-issue w/sadowsky pre-amp,badass 2 bridge,re-dressed frets.this is one sweet azz sounding bass.my lakland is nice but that jazz play's like a sadowsky/celinder.
    should i trade/sell my lakland?or should i put a j retro pre-amp in my mim that already has ultra jazz pup's and a badass2 bridge.
    pls respond.
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    uhhh, I was going to say, uhhhh .... oh, never mind.
  3. Hmmm...well, do you like the Lakland? I'm not sure what you should do, but I would suggest going with the bass you like better. Because the Lakland probably cost more money, it's supposed to be better, right? But if you like the Jazz better, then you do.
  4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'd guess the lakland is alot better built instrument. If i were you i'd put a sadowsky preamp, or U-retro, and maybe a badass bridge and you have the best of both worlds.
  5. I doubt a BadAss bridge is a drop-in replacement for a Lakland.
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's true, funky. Haven't seen an oval replacement bridge for a Lakland yet:D

The only thing a bass that cost more is guaranteed to give you is a more expensive bass. I like my Lakland and I use it for what I think it works best for, in my case general use in a lot of different styles. I would not modify my Lakland, unless I was absolutely sure I could return it to stock if necessary.

Starchild, if I was after something more specific, like the sound of a killer slapped Jazz bass, I wouldn't pick the Lakland. For that, I'd use either my 70's Ash Jazz bass or the MIA Jazz Deluxe 5 I have the J-retro installed in. Keep in mind, what I would do in your shoes has nothing to do with what you "should" do;)

Only you can decide whether to keep the Lakland or not... I've straddled that fence a few times with mine (I was straddling it recently, after what I've seen in the last few weeks). It's not that it's not a great bass, it's just that some of the other basses I have have an edge in getting certain sounds I want. Let's say you decide, after some serious consideration, that you want to move the Lakland. This is the worst market I've seen for selling a bass in this range. Before I would give it away, I'd keep it, at least til things got better.

Now, how would I get that killer slapped Jazz sound I want? If I had a MIM that played well and sounded good acoustically, I'd definitely consider going the J-Retro route. The price is pretty high for these but IMO they're worth it. It's ~$250 and it's a very straightforward install. If your neck isn't up to the standard of the reissue you saw, get your frets dressed by a competent repairperson. It can make a huge difference in feel. After I did that, if I liked the direction the bass was headed in but wanted more, I'd probably consider replacement pickups. Doing all three of these things might cost you in the neighborhood of $500. You could also try a Sadowsky outboard. I had one and didn't really use it. Other players have raved about theirs. YMMV

So, first things first. Do you know exactly what sound you're after? If that 75 reissue seems to be a cost effective way to get it, I might do that before making the mods on the MIM. You have an idea how the MIM "might" turn out. You "know" what the modded 75 sounds like. BTW how much are they asking and... how do you know it has a Sadowsky inside? I'd make sure I knew it was really a Sadowsky preamp.

To recap: I'd probably keep the Lakland for now, whether I wanted to move it or not (I don't like taking a loss). I'd find a way to either get the 75 Jazz or I'd consider hotrodding the MIM. The other thing I'd consider, especially in this market, would be getting the real thing, a high end jazz. I've seen Sadowskys well under $2k, Lulls for even less, there was an F bass (a BN 5) that I would have loved to have gotten, for $1450 a couple of days ago. I'd look hard at these and if I were going to trade the Lakland, this is where I might trade it. In my case, I'm very patient. I wait and watch. Then stuff turns up.

Good luck. This definitely isn't an easy one.
  7. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    PLEASE let me state for the record,that i starchild in
    any given way is saying that one is better that the other(hence the title).
    i'm very satisfied with my lakland but that damn jazz just blew me away with a really killer slap tone,loved to be finger funked also;) .the price is
    $1250 and barely used.
    so BASSICALLY:D BOTTOM LINE hotrod my mim with
    a j-retro then take it from there.
    thank's everyone, right on brad.