Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What should I do..GIG!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kalo, May 11, 2005.

1. kalo

kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    Hi All,

Here is my situation.....My GUITAR teacher who helps musicians get in bands had one of his students who has been playing and taking lessons from him for 15 years call me yesterday....

The message he left was: Hey so, and so told me that you are an awesome bass player and we have this gig comming up on May 29th and we need you to learn 16 songs by then.

This band consist of two guitar players a singer and me the playing the bass....

Okay, here is the problem....I am guitarist TURNED bass player who in all seriousness doesn't feel all that comfortable in the role of bass playing yet!!!

The problem is I don't have the experience of playing bass like I do guitar....I don't care what a lot of guitar players think...Bass is a WHOLE different role...

Now this guy thinks I am killer bassist because of what my teacher told him....I have study with my teacher for GUITAR not bass.....My teacher always wanted me to get out and play and tells me I have a lot of talent (Guitar wise)....

Tonight I meet with this guy to get the 16 songs I am to learn...Should I be honest with him and tell him that I was a guitarist who just recently switched to bass....I don't want to put myself down as I think in the future I can be a good bassist....

Also, I really don't if I can memorize 16 songs in just two weeks...OMG!!!! I think my head would be spinning....It's kind of like I am throwned to the wolves...

I'll do my best and I am really dedicated...But I don't want to make the rest of the band sound like poop either....

What should I do? I really want to get into a band and this is a good opportunity as well...I don't want to blow my chances...

Oh yeah this gig that they are playing on May 29th is for a wedding...Not to mention a BIKER WEDDING :eek:

I a scared guys...I am a skinny petite girl with goth "bobbed" hair...LOL!!!!

Seriously, a part of me wants to say have someone fill in for me on May 29th and after that I'll be ready for any future gigs...This dude told me that they have another possible gig on June 25th.....

What should I do?

2. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    GO FOR IT!! Have fun! You're gonna dig it! Playin' bass is the best!

3. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Go for it, meet with the band, but be up front that you don't think you're as good as they think you are. Give them a good idea of your actual skills and experience. Learning 16 songs is not so bad. I doubt you'll be playing a lot of complicated prog-rock at a biker wedding, you know. They're all probably simple songs you've heard a thousand times.

You can always make charts and tape them to the stage in your area as a cheat-sheet. You may not need it but if you're nervous they'll make a good safety blanket.

4. kalo

kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    Awesome thanks guys!!!

5. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

honesty really is the best policy ...
    i commend you for worrying about your performance ,
    and the band does deserve to know that you are a new bassist .

sounds like you have a good grasp of the fundementals ,
    i say relax and enjoy your new gig !!

learning sixteen songs in two weeks is not asking all that much .
    { cheat sheets might also be a good option as suggested by pklima ... }

give it a chance and you might discover you
    can learn all that and more ...

best of luck and give us a review after the gig ...

6. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    16 songs for a wedding?

Short party. Maybe there's a biker brawl to follow. The venue isn't Bob's Country Bunker is it?

Take the gig. You'll be fine.

7. kalo

kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    Wait a minute :eek: The venue is Bob's Country Bunker!!!

Thanks for the support and making me laugh.....

I actually did get together with this band last night and I am staying positive.....At least everyone seems to be pretty nice....

I'll try my best....You guys on this forum are the best...

Kalo!

8. 16 songs isn't that much and I'm sure it would be a good exercise to get more accustomed to the bass in general. Good luck on your gig!

9. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    repeat after me...*ahem*
    I, Kalo, being of short Stature, skinny Frame, and massive Attitude, do solemnly swear that I shall learn these songs, play this gig, and kick some serious biker ASS!!!
    I also affirm that these said bikers shall make me their favorite bass player Ever, for showing Large, Sweaty, Swinging Brass Balls, the likes of which they have never Seen, in the face of potential Adversity, so help me, Lemmy.

you are welcome...no, really.
    ;) :D :bassist:

10. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Not to mention playing the bass with a band will make the transition from guitar to bass more fun and easier.

I did that 3 years ago myself. Hardly ever pick up a guitar any more.

Have fun is the best way to approach it.

IMHO

tk

11. kalo

kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    Cool..Thanks for the awesome advise!!! Kalo!

12. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    kalo:
    It appears you are sold on the idea now. :)
    To further push you into doin' this.... You'll never know unless you try.

Have fun,

13. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    The great part is how a band sees you improve as a bass player all along. You become appreciated and made to feel good about your abilities. You learn to work harder at learning to keep the smile on your face and theirs too.

It is all good.

IMHO

tk

14. Billy Sheehan always stresses that the best way to become a better player is to play live.

15. kalo

kalo

Jul 29, 2003
    Well, I guess I am on the right track!!!! :)