1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What should i do? [relationship content!]

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FrednBass, Aug 1, 2012.

  1. FrednBass


    Feb 24, 2012
    I need advices here guys...
    I'm going through some bad times with my gf. She's having some psychological issues like almost in depression, going nuts for anything (like: anything can make her feel extremely bad for no aparent reason) and suddenly she's having some kind of OCD that she thinks she's contantly dirty and needs to wash up.
    She never had that kind of problem before and we're together for quite sometime (years) but for the last year she's driving me insane with all that and she knows she needs help. But tried everything i could to help her but didn't work and now i'm completely exhausted and feeling that i'm going crazy myself... i can't take this anymore and i want to be free of all that. But we're together for such a long time and i can't see me without her so i don't know what to do.

    What do you guys think?
    That ship has sunk or is just a bad phase? :(:(:(:(
  2. jmattbassplaya

    jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

    Jan 13, 2008
    Seek counseling.
  3. bigmuff113


    Jul 4, 2012
    San Antonio
    Write her a song about how much you care.
  4. sandmangeck


    Jul 2, 2007
    Wait until school starts.
  5. chuck norriss

    chuck norriss Banned

    Jan 20, 2011
    Abandon ship yesterday
  6. no, i don't think so....unless YOU have decided there's no way to salvage this situation. if you have, abandon ship and move on.

    if you really want her, THEN, seek counseling, as was said, but with an ulterior motive. SHE needs psychological help, not you.

    so you go to counseling but with the idea of getting HER to seek psychological help. use the counseling to ease her into it.

    once she starts seeing the shrink, you can be there for her and slowly help her out of her malaise (or whatever it is).

  7. UncleFluffy


    Mar 8, 2009
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
  8. Mystic Michael

    Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

    Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    What do you mean, you've tried everything you could to help her? Unless "everything" includes assisting her to get professional help, then no, you haven't tried everything (if you've attempted to get her professional help as well, but it hasn't helped, then please accept my apologies - and my sympathies).

    Bottom line is that her psychological problems are serious, probably way beyond your capacity to remediate, and she needs to see a qualified mental health provider - ASAP!

    Neither. See above reply... :meh:

  9. hdracer


    Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Life is to short to be someones care taker. A relationship is a two way street.
    You are not married to her. You have tried.
    Pack up and leave.
  11. DeathFromBelow

    DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Banned

    Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
    Yeah, because we all know that people with mental disorders are not worthy of love. :rolleyes:

    Are you guys seriously saying that if someone you cared for started having issues you would just pack up and leave?
    Thats classy... :rollno:

    OP, tell her you're worried and get her some help!
  12. EricssonB


    Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    I can't make that call for you, but I know what you are going through. Been there in other ways.

    My wife's quite the case herself. I can't say that it gets any easier, necessarily, but you learn to grow with it. There are many times where some people would have walked away, and that's when you have to know what you're about and what you value.

    Do you know?
  13. MadMan118


    Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    If you really want to be free of it. Then be free. Watching someone else self destruct is never fun. But if you've tried everything you can, and you just cant do it anymore. I would advise you leave.
  14. ghostrider


    Jun 12, 2010
    Help her as much as you can and in any way whether it be by taking her to counseling or another road of assistance. But really she needs professional help. In reality "professional help" is a load of ******** and she needs to figure it out for herself rather than rely on others. I send my condolences, and best wishes to you.
  15. Relic

    Relic Cow are you?

    Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    This one really is a no-brainer. You need to get her to some professional help. (which is not a load of b******** BTW) If she really wants to "get better" and she really and truly understands that she's got these problems, it can potentially make a world of difference. There's no magic cure, but she can certainly benefit from help in a big way as can you.
  16. jasper383


    Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Sudden onset of OCD symptoms suggests a chemical imbalance going on somewhere. There are lots of medical treatments available for this sort of thing.

    She should go see a medical doctor ASAP, and get psychiatric and psychological help. No shame in that.
  17. 1958Bassman


    Oct 20, 2007
    You better hope you never need anyone's help, with an attitude like that.
  18. Has she experienced any sudden trauma/traumatic events which could have kicked it off?

    It just sounds similar to what happened to a female friend of mine after she was attacked.

    Either way, it certainly sounds like a case of needing professional help.
  19. 1958Bassman


    Oct 20, 2007
    So, all of the people who have been helped by professionals really weren't helped? It was all b******t? Really? I knew someone who lost the ability to keep food down and was in a pretty bad way. She went into the hospital and part of the treatment included psychological councelling. Turned out that she was suffering from anxiety. They treated that and she was fine.

    When someone is exhibiting odd symptoms and they're neither in a position to "figure it out for themselves", nor knowledgeable in the aspects of behavioral problems, what, exactly, would they decide to do about it?
  20. Seek professional help.

Share This Page