What should i do? (tone clean-up)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pesticle, Dec 13, 2003.

1. I play p-basses through an Acoustic 150 4x12 stack, and i have been having trouble finding a neat clean tone. Don't get me wrong, i love my acoustic stack, but it only has a bass and a treble eq knob and it is very very 70's style farting basslike on all settings when playing it loud. (which is how i need it live) I was wondering if i should get a good, simple stompbox compressor (looking at EHX Black Finger, or a Carl Martin but any suggestions are welcomed) to compress that bass and clear up the tone so it is a little more usable live, or maybe is there another good way to clean things up that i don't know of yet like a direct box or simple eq box to clean it up. (very welcome to suggestions still, maybe a yamaha ne-1 would help???) I have like 200 American dollars to spend, but finding a very cheap solution would be awesome, as i am just a lowly high school student saving up for college. Thank you all for suggestion.
  2. well, i hate to say it, but it almost sounds like you've answered yourself already. a compressor could help, i would suggest an EQ pedal. I have the NE-1, and it doesn't really clean up anything, but look at the compressor and eq (you should be able to get both for under 200 dollars try boss) if you have one, plug them into the effects loop of the amp, but i'm not sure if acoustic amps have them.
    good luck
  3. boss limiter enhancer and boss bass eq should be under 200 american if you ebay it and should be able to get the tone you like.
  4. B B E Sonic maximizer....honest. The single best "blanket lifter" you could add to a rig. Will clean up your tone very nicely. The fancier equipment you may end up accumulating some day might make it superfluous but for now.....
  5. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    You could also look at the Fishman Platinum Pro EQ. It would give you a very nice optical compression and great EQ. It also doubles as a DI. It's a nice piece and isn't too expensive.
  6. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    You need more EQ! pedal's like fishmans are nice or an actual 15 band eq would be perfect. Run your bass to the eq then into your head, or you and try it in an effects loop. It will do the trick....
  7. I agree that a BBE, or Boss LMB-3, or eq will help your tone. I should be shot for this plug but I have a BBE 482i for sale or trade on here. It's only a few months old, in perfect shape. PM me if it interests you.