Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What should I do with a 25th Aniv. Carvin that I got for Bday

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Little Cricket, Mar 16, 2006.

1. HI everyone. I just got a 25th anniversary Carvin 5 string fretless from my mom. She got it from a family friend who had purchased it from Carvin and never used it so it is virtually brand new. I love the construction and the look, it is the one of the most magnificent instruments I have held. However, I'm not sure that I want to keep this fretless since I already have a Fender fretless and hardly ever play it. I would like to sell the Carvin but don't know how much I might be able to ask for it. The people at the local Carvin store said an instrument like mine sells inthier store for about $1499. Please advice as to how much I can sell for or if I should put frets on it and keep as a fretted 5. Thanks in advace.

2. I ever got something that cool for my birthday, I'd freak!

I'd probably get it fretted, but I'd a gear hog.

3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I'll take it...

4. thanks Ekim. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the gift very much, and like I said it is a stunning instrument to look at. Plus it has the single stacked pickup and the big MM style alnico humbucker with three band eq, piezo and the pan pots also a passive/active pullout switch. But I just know that I won't use it that much and could probably use that money towards a guitar that I would really use. By the way, where could I get it fretted and for about how much? Thanks

5. LajoieT I would love to give it to you, but I'm trying to sell it so that I could actually purchase another bass!!!

6. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Here's my advice. What you like/need now isn't necessarily what you'll like/need 5 or 10 years from now. I've "lost" many basses I'd absolutely love to have in my arsenal now and I occasionally kick myself because of it. You might consider taking that really nice fretless, throw it in the closet, and sit on it until you might need it. If you never need it that's fine too, but you'll have it if you do. Also, the present aspect is kinda sticky as well. Anyhow...my $.02

7. jbasso

jbasso

Mar 1, 2006
    Hugo, MN
    Post pictures of it?

8. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Having another bass is overrated and pales in comparison to the warm feeling in your heart you'll have if you give it to me!!!

Stare at this photo for 5 minutes while reciting the above line and I'm sure you'll begin to agree with me...

[​IMG]

9. Why not sell the Fender fretless and keep the Carvin? Then you'd have money to buy that guitar. Fender resale value is probably better than Carvin.

Let's see some photos!

10. KEEP IT! not because you might need it later on which you probably will but because you would disappoint your Mom and her/your friend that gave it to her. Sell the fender and then save for the other stuff.

11. Billy-Bob

Billy-Bob

Nov 4, 2005
    So Cal
    Yup, unless you are especially attached to your Fender, that would be a good call. Or call Carvin and see how much it would be to fret your neck.

Billy-Bob

12. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Is it that went to high school in the 70's with all that went along with it, or is that picture moving?

I hate to get rid of gifts, I feel guilty. I like the sell the Fender Idea. No one's feelings will get hurt. I'm sure they thought that was an awsome gift.

13. Have you thought of pricing a fretted neck to swap out and keep the fretless neck for when you're ready to use it, or sell the bass as a fretless later on down the line? I wouldn't ruin a fretless neck by fretting it. Get a poorly done fretting and you're screwed...:rollno:

(Oh...and I'm not too familiar with this particular bass, so if it's a neck-through, then I'm pretty much blowing smoke out my backside!)

14. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    You realize it's not my bass right? I must have worded it funny.

15. If my wife or mother gave me a sweet bass as a gift and I turned around and sold it, they would kick my ass up and down the block, and NEVER give me a nice gift ever again.
    Don't be a sucka, mang.:scowl:
    You wanna know how much that bass is worth? Ask your mom, she'll tell you.:meh:
    C7

16. No...actually I think I screwed up and clicked a wrong "quote" Guess I'll try again. But since we're here, what's your opinion of swapping necks out?;)

17. Hey there! I messed up earlier and asked this of the wrong person, but I'm curious...

Have you thought of pricing a fretted neck to swap out and keep the fretless neck for when you're ready to use it, or sell the bass as a fretless later on down the line? I wouldn't ruin a fretless neck by fretting it. Get a poorly done fretting and you're screwed...:scowl:

(Oh...and I'm not too familiar with this particular bass, so if it's a neck-through, then I'm pretty much blowing smoke out my backside!)

18. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    One of my brothers got Vince Gill's guitar tech to have Willie Weeks play on a right handed Fender P-Bass Deluxe....not only did Willie (my hero) play on it in Japan, but he autographed it and had some pics taken with him playing it.... well my brother gave it to me for my birthday a few years ago (my brother has never done anything like that) - the problem is i'm a left handed player...

The bass, performance-wise, is useless to me, but since my brother did that for me - I will never get rid of it... in fact it still has that new bass smell... I have been currently planning a shadow box for it.

:)

Just my little story about a gift bass to me.

19. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    keep it...and I agree with the fender idea. Carvin makes good stuff. You said you have a local carvin dealer, so take it to them and have them fret it. You can always get a different fret board in "5 or 10 years" if you want it back fretless.

20. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I like that idea better than fretting it, if it's bolt on. Many Carvins aren't. I'm still partial to the sell the Fender idea. I'll admit, I'm not a Fender fan though, at least not for me. Others don't like Warwick and I love em.