1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

What should I do with my jazz pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by joostone, May 9, 2018.

1. Scenario A) Buy high end (Lollar/Fralin/Antiquity) pickups for my main

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Scenario B) Buy good pickups (dimarzio, SD, aguilar, fender, etc..) for my backup bass.

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. joostone

joostone

Oct 19, 2005
    So I have a MIA 2008 Fender jazz bass that I consider my main bass. I use it in my band for gigs and recordings. It's at our rehearsal space. Last year Ive built a second jazz bass for home practice. At this moment it has cheap pickups. So I was thinking to change the pickups.
    There are tons of threads or youtubes videos that could inform me on what pickups to choose. That's not my biggest challenge. Because all of a sudden I was thinking about changing the pickups in my main jazz bass (the MIA 08) to real high ends like: 'Lollar', 'Fralin'. or 'SD antiquity'. And then use the fender standard pickups for my backup bass.

Is that a good idea? Not sure, cause I was thinking to keep my main all original. But Ive read that Fralin/Lollar pickups are really much better.

Scenario A) Buy high end (Lollar/Fralin/Antiquity) pickups for my main and put the standards in my backup bass.

Scenario B) Buy good pickups (dimarzio, SD, aguilar, fender, etc..) for my backup bass.

What would you do?

Thanks!

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Have you tried new strings and set ups on with pickup height adjustment?

sikamikanico likes this.
  3. joostone

joostone

Oct 19, 2005
    yes, both basses have good set ups now!

4. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Once I have something I like, and have no complaints, I tend not to mess with it. So, if it were me, I would leave the ‘08 MIA alone. I would also just keep an eye on the TB classifieds, eBay, or whatever, and wait until I saw a good deal on a set of pickups I would like to try, and give those a shot in the backup bass.

sikamikanico likes this.
  5. Try the Fender ‘PV 64 ... don’t know if they’re considered high-end but they do growl and are cheaper than Lollars ... want to go the non Fender way? Buy Lollars!

6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    What problem are you trying to solve?

What are you unhappy about with the sound you get out of each bass?

sikamikanico likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 15, 2021