1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What should I do with my T-E 2x15 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NickRich, Jul 5, 2012.

1. NickRich

NickRich

Oct 13, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    Hi guys,

I have an old Trace-Elliot 1524 (2x15", 4 ohms). The last owner (or someone up that line) replaced the original speakers with one Celestion and one Electrovoice.

The cab sounds OK but I find out that's not "my" tone. It's very clear sounding and can shake walls but doesn't have that low-mid "p-bass" "percussive" thump that I love.

I just replaced it with Ampeg BSE-410HE and BSE-115T that I quite enjoy. Nothing spectacular but they get the job done.

So right now, my options are sell the Trace Elliot cab or put some good 15" in it to get more of what I like. The approximate internal volume of my cab is about 6.5 cubic feet.

The thing that sparkled my internal debate was johnk_10's built of a custom 2x15 (build thread). You can hear it in action here :

I just don't remember right now if his cab has Eminence 3015 or Faital in it on this video.

So, what do guys think ?

Attached Files:

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Mismatched speakers sharing the same box is far worse than a pile of different speakers in different boxes. They'll fight each other more than compliment. Decide which driver you like the sound of best, then replace the other with an identical one.

3. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    if you were closer, i would be begging you to sell it to me to match my AH350SMX!

4. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I built a composite cab that is very similar to Johnk10's cab. I used the Faital Pro 15PR400, and it is by far one of the best sounding 215 cabs that I have ever used. IMO- the FaitalPro 15PR400 or Eminence 3015 would be a good choice for a replacing both speakers in that cab. I would suggest measuring the interior dimensions of the cab minus the port tube volume and driver displacement, for the propper amount of internal volume and model the cab in winisd so You can see how it will fare.

FWIW- I think I recall that exact cab being mentioned in the "Dually" thread.

5. NickRich

NickRich

Oct 13, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    Yeah, the Dually is about the same size as my cab and it has four ports also. That's another reason why I'm wondering if I should put two 3015 or Faital in there. I can certainly put the specs in WinISD but my problem is I'm no expert interpreting those SPL charts. :(

6. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I went with the Faital because it didn't seem to be voiced as "dark" as the 3015 based on the sound clips I heard. The spl charts reveal a lot but hearing it really drove it home for Me.
    FWIW- I am very pleased that I went with the Faitalpro drivers and have had nothing but compliments from other players that have heard My cab.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    You live nextdoor to the Faital store or somethin'?:D

Went from question to driver selection to installation to other players hearing it in what...11hours?:D

8. NickRich

NickRich

Oct 13, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    That's why TB is so great !
    :bassist:

9. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
  10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
  11. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Yep, works like a champ! The complement is certainly appreciated! I must say, I absolutely LOVE the cab. However, I am going to re-do the grille very soon, as it didn't come out exactly the way I wanted it and the cloth got a hole torn in it during load out at a gig Yesterday.:(

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    That always sucks, but, ya gotta get that first blemish on something new to really make it "yours" ya know.:p

You did yourself right adding the extra runs of brace in there. Finish looks great with the SVT too.

13. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    True and true! Yea, it sucks that the grille cloth got torn, but I sometimes have the tendencey to forget that I didn't build it to look at.:eek:
    I think for the small amount of weight that the extra bracing added, it was well worth it. I'm still shocked by how light it is when I pick it up. That light weight was really nice this past weekend, as We had to load in up a crazy long flight of metal stairs. I can honestly say, that at that moment I didn't miss My 810 or 412 at all.
    Thanks Man! Yea, I really love the black and white thing. Looks very "Tuxedo-ish".

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I see what I did now....confused you and the OP.:)

So, OP. Anyway, find out what speakers are in your Trace and see about getting a matched set in there of one or the other, unless you want to spring for the Faitals. Then you'll have a couple raw drivers to sell or use in other projects.

15. NickRich

NickRich

Oct 13, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    I downloaded WinISD Pro and put the numbers in.
    [​IMG]

16. i love those old trace 2x15's. best 2x15 cab ive ever used. i say find a set of drivers you like and stick them in

rtav likes this.
  17. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The 3015 would work good in there. Remember too WinISD is just for the lowend behavior. Look to the response charts for your drivers and take their mid/topend response into consideration too.

18. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Looks good to Me!

I'll second what Will33 said about the mid/topend response.

19. NickRich

NickRich

Oct 13, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    Ok, l'll look into that.

Thanks guys for all your comments, it's really appreciated.

20. Hello guys! Let's give this old thread a small resurrection!

I bought this cab from NickRich back in 2012 (Hello Nick!). The thing is: I recently blew up the top speaker (the original Celestion T5413 Trace Elliot speaker). Now I'm looking to either replace the top speaker with the matching pair (an Electro-Voice 15BX) or to repair the blown speaker and change the EV speaker with another original speaker from the bay. The original speaker that blew up seems to have been repaired already in the past, which makes me think that it might as well blow up again in the near future. So what should I do?

Nick didn't do anything before selling it to me, so now I am the one asking the questions. I was hoping to sell this cab but now that I know that it can still be upgraded, I'm tempted to give it a try. I don't have a choice anyway because one of the speakers is now dead...

I'd love to go out and get a whole new pair of speakers for 700$ but that's a little bit too much for my budget right now. Do you have any other suggestions?

NickRich likes this.