Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What should I do with this Yamaha?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mattsk42, Aug 22, 2005.

1. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

I got a RBX170 AND 270 off of ebay pretty cheap. I wasn't expecting my bid of 91 dollars to win the 170, which is why I bid on the 270. Well I don't really need either so...

What should I do to them? I was thinking fretless, new pickups to make it a complete opposite of my other "main" bass, or do you guys have any ideas? I'd like to sell the 170 unless someone can give me a good reason to keep it!

I'm getting a Skyline Glaub ( :eek: ) from Bassment Zombie (who has been great to deal with) and I was thinking of maybe making one of these Yamahas REALLY smooth jazzy to compliment this pbass. Or am I totally off base?

:confused:

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    For $91 it's a decent bass, would make a good backup, leave at the reharsal space or play in crappy venues bass. It'd also be good to try with different pickups, electronics etc or go fretless if you can remove the frets.
    Or you could put it back on ebay.

3. Mod the heck out of it... strip the paint and wax it. Make it fretless if you can afford it, or do it by yourself.

Use it for alternate tunings or whatever you can think of.

4. Give me the darn RBX170 if you won't respect it...give it a good set up (intonation, trussrod, pickup height) put a decent set of strings on her and she'll treat you right (as will the RBX270).

As a "special duty" type bass, perhaps you can tune it BEAD with some Black Nylon tape wounds (like from a LaBella 5 string set) and get a really deep jazzy thang happening.

Mods I'm doing to mine...a homemade $10 gain-only preamp to drive the cable with a little extra "booty"...conductive paint in the controls cavity and possible a series switch like the fender S1 option.

Other than that, I'm gonna probably put a stick-on white pickguard on her...but I'll be doin' a "design my pickguard" thread for that one.

I paid $170 AU (~$130 US) for mine which was a smokin' deal here in Oz (they go for ~$370 minimum in the shoppes and online).

5. mattsk42

1. Would it be good compared to other basses as a fretless? I don't want to do that unless it will be really good. I've read some basses are better for fretless than others.

2. If I were to get pickups, strings, etc., what should I do to make this a perfect compliment to that Glaub? I TRULY know the tone of the Glaub yet, or what the opposite sound of it should be really.

Keep the ideas coming! :hyper:

6. mattsk42

Oh, and which would be better for modifying, the 170 or 270? Thanks!

7. Step 1 - Defret the 270
    Step 2 - Tune 170 to BEAD
    Step 3 - Duct tape them together and create your own signature doubleneck :D

8. Definately digging the duct tape idea. As far as defretting goes, it's not that hard once you get started. There is a lot of information on here and I would be happy to guide you through the process myself.

If you don't know what you want to do with the basses, you could always give them to me! PM me if you want my address!

9. mattsk42

Haha good idea! I really can't keep both, I'm not rich enough. I think I will go for the defretting thing. I did some searching and it seems not TOO bad. However, which would be better for that, and do I need different pickups?

Also, what would be the best compliment for the Bob Glaub?

One last... where can I sell one of them? No music stores here, one about 200mi. away, but I think I'd have better luck online if there is a good place. Thanks!

10. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    How about a tenor or piccolo, you could tune it a bit down from piccolo, and capo it to make up for the scale.

11. mattsk42

Good idea! I don't know much about those, but that might be fun. I'm still wondering what the best tone is to counter the Glaub. Smooth, punchy, growly, etc... I'll check out the piccolo idea some more........

12. pontz

pontz

Oct 31, 2003
    CT
    Just tjhe other day I walked into a store to get a couple new cables and walked out with a used fretless cort for $150. I was thinking like you, "what should I do to this thing?" But when I got home and starte playing it through my amp, I was impressed with the range of tone and classic mwah. It also hase a smooth fast neck that I can't put down. I'm going to put some new flatwounds on it and break it out at my gig friday night I think. So I guess what I'm saying is maybe you won't need to do anything to your ebay score.

Have fun,
    Pontz

13. mattsk42

Yeah that may be what I end up doing. I'd probably just leave it alone, but I got two of them. I'd ultimately like to sell one and then use that money to fix up the other.