Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what should i do with.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve-o, Apr 3, 2003.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    my huge cab?
    i really don't have money to go out and get another cab right now. so....
    it is a carvin 2x15 2x12 cab. BIG!!
    well i am in two bands and one is 1/2 hour away and i just can't be carrying this thing every where.
    should i just try to sell it?
    and if so how much is it worth?

i used to thing that bigger was better, but not any more. i just want to get a 112 and 115 from avatar.

is this a good set-up?

thanks for anything.
    just trying to justify to sell it.

2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i just weighed it.... it ways as much as i do. 130.

is it worth it?

steve

3. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    and I complain about my Avatar 4x10 weighing 80lbs...130! Yikes! No wonder you want to ditch it...although I'm sure when it's cranking you enjoy having that many speakers giving you coverage.

guess it just comes down to what you feel like lugging around. I like having several smaller cabs to either use just one or add if necessary (not that a 4x10 is really that small)

good luck with your quest!:D

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Snuff that stuff.

brad cook

5. Can anyone post a picture of one of these cabs (or a link to a picture)? I just wonder how big this cab really is! I want to see one with my own eyes! Thanks... Pete

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Sorry to bump an old thread but I couldn't help myself.

If you're handy with a hammer, I suggest building seperate cabs to house the drivers you've already got. Inother words, build one cab to house one 15" and another to house a 12".

If you're careful to make sure each speaker ends up with the same cabinet volume and porting as it has now, it should work.

You'd also have to be careful of impedance issues.

But it's worth considering given that cabs like these are generally hard to offload.

7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i was thinking about that. but how would i make sure that volume is the same? it has two ports at the bottom. so?

steve

8. Of course you should sell it. Good luck.....

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You'de need to work out how much air each individual driver has behind it. You'd have to get inside the cab to see how it's set out inside. I've got a funny feeling the 2x 15's will be seperated from the 2x12's so they each have a seperate chamber of air behind them. I could be wrong. You may even have 4 seperate chambers, one for each speaker. There may be no seperate chambers at all, just one big hollow cab (though this is unlikely. It would be very difficlut to tune the porting).

Say for example the 2x15's have their own chamber and it measures 6cu.ft. That means each 15 would be happy in it's own 3cu.ft box.

Do a similar thing for the porting. If the chamber with the 2x15's has 2 ports, 4 inches in diameter and 5 inches long, it would be a safe bet that each 15 gets one of those ports.

So your 15 cab in this example would be 3cu.ft in volume and have a single 4" port tht's 5" long.

As you can see, it really depends what's inside your cab. All you've gotta do is replicate it speaker by speaker.

10. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I wanna see a picture of this thing and how big it is.

11. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    alright pics coming soon, but it is one big hollow cab. so what to do?
    my friend builds sub boxes and home stereo stuff, but i want to know what size it needs before i go and buy everything

steve

12. Each of my 1x15 subs weighs more than 130 pounds, so I share your pain.

But... a 2x15 + 2x12 is a whole lot larger than my subs. Weight is manageable, but a huge size is not. I'm a believer in separate cabs, and I think you are now finding this out for yourself. Huge cabs are too much hassle. Multiple cabs allow you to mix and match to suit the traveling distance and the venue.

The Avatar thing is the least expensive way to go. The CB115 looks like it will perform better than is claimed on the Avatar site. I calculate the CB115 is about 2.85 net internal volume with the Kappa Pro 15LF driver. Tuned at 51 Hz per the Avatar site, this gives a -3dB of around 54 Hz, which is lower than the advertised 64 Hz.

The BB4 tuning for this driver is 2.91 cubic feet at 46 Hz. The Kappa Pro 15LF is good for an honest 97 SPL, which puts it about 1dB more sensitive than the Acme B4-II. This is an excellent SPL for a single driver.

13. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    alright that is promising as soon as i get some money. going the avatar way.

but also what can i do about the speakers? how do i know what size box each speaker should have.
    i believe that this cab wasn't designd very well and they are just speakers in a box. so think that these have potential.

they are the same speakers that kustoms and ampeg used to use in the 70's. i will find out more later.

thanks
    steve

14. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    To get around this problem, I am working on a top-secret 4x18 cab design that uses a sealed enclosure and has helium instead of air filling the inside of the cab. Don't tell anyone. Oops . . .

15. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Don't ditch it, put castor wheels on it (if there aren't any).

16. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    yes there is casters.

but i just want to know what size boxes i have to put these speakers in. how would i figure it out.

steve

17. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Pop the back off so you can see how the thing is chambered. If the 12s are in a seperate chamber, measure that (Length x Width x Height). Multiply those (subtract .75" from each to account for cabinet walls) and you get your cubic feet for the 12s. Do the same for the 15s.

If the 15s and 12s are all in one big chamber, then you'll have to provide us with the exact driver details so you/someone can find the T/S parameters.

18. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Probably like this

[​IMG]

but with 12s instead of 8s :oops::eek: