Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What should I do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mr. eff, Nov 30, 2003.

1. About 3 months ago I went into one of the local music shops, and saw a fender zone. I played on it and decided i must have it. So i trade in my ibanez sdgr 300x, and put down $200. Then I go in a week later to put another $200 down, and asked them if I could play it. So I'm sittin there jammin and notice this horrible buzz. Turns out somethings not grounded right. No big deal, I tell them and they "Yeah, we'll fix it...probably just some soder that came loose. OK cool, I somewhat trust them cause its a small city(pop. of 120,000), and I've bought an amp, acoustic bass, cables, etc... from them. So I go in about a month later and ask them if everythings ok. They assure me it is in perfect working order, and nothing to worry about. About another month and a half passes, and I'm fixing to move to Houston texas, so my mom offers to pay the last $82 and get it out for a christmas/b day present. I think "cool, I'll have my new bass". So my mom goes and gets it, then the next day I go to jam out on some tunes... and what do I hear... Buzzfest coming out of my amp.
    I can touch certain metal parts on the bass and hear it grounding through me. I was pretty annoyed cause the problem seemed even worse than before, but still I give them the benefit of the doubt. I took it back on Saturday, and tell them whats up, and that I'm also moving in a few days so I need is ASAP. The manager tells me the guitar tech is at lunch but will start on it as soon as he gets back. So i tell them I'll be back before they close. So i come back and talk to someone else who says the guitar tech is still trying to figure it out, and it SHOULD be done by monday, since they're closed on sundays. What really gets me is that I have to leave on Monday, so Now I'll have to wait until 5:30 to get on the road. Should I just tell them I want back the $482 and my original bass? I kind of seemed like they didn't really want to do that, although i never said anthing like that, I just got that vibe. Sorry for the long post, I'm just really pissed off, and not sure what I should do.

:confused:

2. No one has any ideas?

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    re-do the grounding yourself. its not too hard.

4. Nevermind:rolleyes:
    Its the principal...if you buy something brand new that has supposedly been checked by fender, I shouldn't have to take it apart just to get it working like it should have in the first place. I don't know maybe I'm alone on this one, but I think that music store is messed up. If it isn't that hard, why couldn't the guy who gets paid to fix stuff do it?

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    i agree with you in principle... but for something thats is (hopefully) so easy to fix... its not worth kicking up a fuss.

6. adlerguitars

adlerguitars

Nov 15, 2003
    Beaumont, CA
    If it isn't done by the time you have to leave I’d say demand your money back. When you started paying it was fine and it all went down hill while in their care, so they are liable. When you go in to see if the work is done and to pick it up play it right away. If the problem is there demand your old bass back and make a report to the better business bureau. If all else fails you can take them to small claims and get your money back that way.

7. Thanks for the input, I guess I got a litle carried away cause it seems like they're giving me the runaround.

8. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    It's always disappointing when you want something, have to make money and time sacrifices until you finally get it, and that it the end something's wrong with it. Your anger is understandable.

Hopefully things are getting in order now...

Anyway, Fender instruments are covered by a warranty. I don't know how long in the USA, but in France it is 5 years.

Cheers,
    JL

9. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Just curious, what guitar shop. I have been through W.F. a coulpe of times and have been to all the shops.

Anyway, If you love the bass and do not want to part with it, keep it. Move to Houston and have a authorized Fender service fix the problem. Just make sur that you have the receipt. Otherwise, if you could care either less about not keeping the bass, then return it. Buy a different one in Houston.

10. I got it at McCarty's Music. I've bought other stuff, and they seemed pretty reliable. They even offered me another 30 days on my layaway if I needed it. Great Necks is a good store in W.F. Just try to avoid Tarpley's Music(unless your goin' for strings cause they are buy 1 get 1 free,except on elixirs),everything at Tarpley's is overpriced even after they give you the "discount".

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Do what I do: threaten to return the bass and demand full value and your original bass back or they give you monetary/credential compensation.

Whenever I get screwed over by music stores, mostly when stuff is shipped, I go straight for the 'this is what you promised' which is nowhere near what I got. I got my twelve string acoustic guitar this way. Ordered it July 5th, nothing, nothing, called August 1st, I'm like where's my guitar and he offers me free shipping and a guitar stand. Great. Wait three more weeks, knocks $20 off the price. Even better. Another week is free strings, and when I opened the box when it arrived two months after I ordered it... small nick in the finish. I tell them to refund ALL my money, let me keep the freebies and take back the guitar while they cover shipping, or knock another $30 off the price. Discount city baby! I got my guitar shipped with accessories for $87 and it's a great guitar.

Just be firm with your demands and if you're a repeat buyer, always tell them how unimpressed you are with their service and will begin to look elsewhere with your business. If it's a small store, they're usually pretty good about making you happy.

Long story short...learn to complain :p

12. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX

The guys at McCarty's seemed pretty cool. McCarty's was the store on the corner of S. Western Pkwy?

13. Its right by the corner of Kemp and SW pkwy, there is a big acoustic guitar on one of the signs. Great Necks is just down the street on Kemp. I think MCCartys has been there since the early 80's or so.