What should I do?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Funkize you, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Well, I have been thinking of this for awhile...

I have not played bass for too long (about a year now) BUT I have played music for a little over 9 years now, so I got my theory down pretty well... I am not really a fan of Punk in general, There may be a band now and then with an outstanding player but its just not really my kind of music...

Some of my friends play a little, and they want start a punk band and need a bassist and I am not shure what i should do... I could play with them (and teach them how to read and blah, blah, blah) or I could just keep practicing and wait around for my dream to come true and find a Prog or Jazz band that needs a bassist...

So what do you think I should do? Just start the Darn band and try to have fun? Or wait?
  2. AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    Well if it was me I'd start the band and have fun. But then again I love punk. I've been trying to start a punk band with some Mod/new wave influences, but so far it's been tough to find people who want me to play with them. I've been talking to a co-worker lately about such a venture, but he has a wife and kid and works full time.

If you do decide to play with them, don't try too hard to "teach them the right of way." That's just condescending(sic?). Just do what you do well, let them do what they do well and the shape of the band should follow suit.
    Admit it, a punk band with prog/jazz influenced basslines is alot more intriquing than either genre in it's purest form.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    If you want to see if you can lead them around a bit with your bassplaying, that would be cool. Just remember that quitting the band will be hard if you have to do it. So, prevention is the best medicine. Good luck whatever you decide to do! :)
  4. I say go for it. I know when I first started playing I jammed with a couple guitarists and it helped me out a lot. Even if you aren't totally into the style of music, you can adapt to it and make up some killer lines, heck, you guys might even start going into different styles. I know when I started putting together a band with some friends we had the idea of going metal but went through a bunch of different genres of music and we have pretty much landed on Alternative Rock.

If you go and make the band, you can have and get experience playing bass with other people and be in a working band. If the band breaks up, no big deal really since it's not exactly your cup of tea and if you change the style, maybe it might end up on something you guys like.

I'd suggest just jamming a few times with them before sitting down and writing songs. Get a feel for them and when you jam, you might just come up with a different style.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

5. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Thanks for the comments.

But I didnt mean to imply that I would "Show them how to Play correctley" I said I would (Or meant to at least...) "Teach them how to read Music, Instead of Tab"