Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what should i do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by robe, Apr 19, 2004.

1. robe

robe

Oct 19, 2003
    Australia-Brisbane
    I rang the nusic store and asked them if they could order an olp bass and what colours they have. so he told me that they had natural, pearl blue, black or gunsmoke. They also have dropped in price! 650 to 495 (aussie dollars.)

Then he asked me what bass i have at the moment and i said a yamaha rbx 460. He told me that i would be better off buying a n ibanez or another yammy.

What do you guys think, i love slapping and funk, which one, if the olp which colour?

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Which one do you like best?

Which one feels most comfortable for you to play?

Which colour do you most like to look at?

Which one do you want?

3. play it and go with what you like most

4. robe

robe

Oct 19, 2003
    Australia-Brisbane
    i cant try it out and i have to by the one i order. what should i try to get the feel of it, the real thing?

also i kinda like the natural one but the elm looks a bit dark, im not really sure what all the colours look like for real becaust the net photos are done a studio etc. so if anyone has any pics of your olp please put them up!

With my yamaha i feel the sound is very sooth but also a bit tinny and i can't get that funky sound out of it. so im open to suggestions!

Thanx

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You should not have to buy the one you order in. I suggest going to as many guitar stores as you can (i'm sure there arnt too many in Brisvegas) and trying out every bass you can get your hands on. Once you know what you like then think about ordering one - but with most cheap basses, you want to make sure that you play the one you are buying before you lay down your money as the quality control on some of the cheaper brands is not too hot.

6. robe

robe

Oct 19, 2003
    Australia-Brisbane
    in brisbane there are about 20 odd music tores around but i cant find one that stocks olp. Ive been recommended the warwick rockbass streamer which im still thinking about.

Any thoughts on that?

7. if my math is right thats like 370 us dollars... i know that things are more expensive over there but jeez, i wouldnt pony up that much for an olp... i think you are better off looking around local music stores to find a nice used bass... if you dont like the olp you will probably take a good loss on it when you go to resell it... you can really get a hell of a used bass for 370 bucks, here at least... it would be one thing if you got to play it before hand and you fell in love with it but to order it without playing it at that price would be a mistake imho

thats just my 2 cents for what its worth

8. robe

robe

Oct 19, 2003
    Australia-Brisbane
    What brand wuld you recommend as a second hand bass?

And what are your opinions on a warwick rockbass streamer. they retail for about 600 australian but i could get cheaper.

Im looking for ease of slapping and a good funk tone.

9. spector ns2000 neck thru, peavey g-bass, peavey millennium (usa made not the cheap bxp basses), spector rebop, washburn xb900, washburn xb920, spector ns-94

all of those have nice slap tone (the washburns im relying on what ive heard) and if you look hard enough they can be had for less than 600 aud

other than that, just look around man... it took me a long time to find what worked for me (locally anyway)... i probably played hundreds of basses and when i found the right one i knew it... at the time that was a spector ns2000 neck thru... after i bought that i got into ebay and i bought and sold over 30 basses and most just couldnt hold up to the spector... i eventually sold it only because while it sounded great it just didnt inspire me to play... i bought it new, and that will probably be the last new bass i ever buy... i find that used basses inspire me more and you get way more bang for the buck... keep lookin around and you will find the right bass, be patient and you will be rewarded

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Buying a better Yammy would be wise IMO. (unless you want to spend more $ in which case you'd have more options).. Ibanez's....not usually good for slap. There are exceptions of course.

11. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Like the Fieldy model? :D

12. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    i had a OLP musicman (with some sort of "better" active pickups) for a short wile, and while it was a bit lacking in the fit&finish department (lame position dots and pots, not so perfect fretwork), it sounded really good through an ashdown 4x10 rig - it was able to cut through in a band situation a lot better than my previous ibanez sdgr 805 with emg`s, and had decent, tight lows, wich is uncommon in lower quality basses with active electronics....

...and it looked good with a natural finish. :D :D :D

if i were to buy a playable, decent, but cheap backup/project/rehersal room/expendable bass, i would search for an used OLP... and try it out before pucharse, if possible - it`s pretty obvious that at that price level the quality will vary from bass to bass.

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Yammie

14. SR series is good for that, but if your looking for a cheaper bass, this just isn't one...also the same for the BTBs.

:rolleyes: I actually have heard that it is good for slap. Just because it is his signature bass doesn't make it a complete piece of crap. You honestly think someone would want their sig to be a $1000 piece of equipment that played like a $100 beater bass?