1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What should I do.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nevandal, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Nevandal

Nevandal

Jul 13, 2008
    I have an SX bass a while back, from Rondo Music and it came to me with a lot of fret buzz. It was only $120 but I don't know if that's a good deal or not. After I pay a pro to do fretwork on this thing, get a higher mass bridge, a nut that isn't plastic, some decent strings, possibly new tuners, and replace both pickups in it, it seems like I may have well just bought a better bass.

But it seems like SX basses get a lot of praise around here so I have a dilemma..

Should I...

1. Give SX another try, with another bass in a cooler design (don't like the vintage white I got, it's an ugly neon yellowish color), do the mods and hopefully have a bass that compares to MIA Fender P basses (according to a lot of things I hear)

2. Buy a MIM Fender P Bass for $500

3. Buy a Lakland 4401 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lakland-Skyline-4401-4String-Bass?sku=517708 for $730

4. Something else for $750 or less?

Ideally, I'd buy a bass and it'd play perfectly and easily, and not require any modding to make it a quality bass.

I'm looking for a 4 stringer to make my main bass.

My only bass right now is this $120 SX in ugly neon yellow with loads of fretbuzz and I hate it. I'd like to have multiple basses (which was the idea with SX..) but not if they're all pieces of crap. One nice bass is a lot better than 3 junkers.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

-Nev

2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Any bass you order from a large retailer may (=will likely) need a good setup. I'd get the Lakland.

3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    You can get the Laklnad from a dedicated bass shop like Bass Northwest or Bass Central and they'll set it up properly for you.

4. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Fretbuzz COULD be fixed by a simple setup. Seems like you dont know how to do that. I'd advice you to learn, as it's an invaluable skill. There's a lot of difference between a setup and "pay a pro to do fretwork on this thing, get a higher mass bridge, a nut that isn't plastic, some decent strings, possibly new tuners, and replace both pickups in it". Not all of it needs to be done, and you probably wont be able to tell if it needs fretwork before you give it a good setup (which, of course, you havent, seeing the fretbuzz)

Seems like you have been caught up in the hype about upgrades. All the SXes i've played were fine and in no need of so much modding, and i've owned and played expensive basses as well. Whether you want to do it after you know that it's not necessary is one thing, but it's certainly not REQUIRED for it to be a good player.

It sounds to me like you're ragging on something you don't understand.

5. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Are you 100% certain it's the bass and not a technique issue?

6. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    If you can afford a Lakland, there's really no reason to buy an SX. I'm sure that the Lakland will give you more versatillity than the 5 or 6 SX's you would get for the same amount of cash ever could.

7. Nevandal

Nevandal

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm 100% sure it's the bass, and the bass is setup and intonated properly. I do have experience setting up guitars and have had no problems in the past. Perhaps I got a lemon. I set it up with fairly high action and the bass still buzzes like crazy.

On a slightly off topic note I also had previously ordered two Agile AL-3100 les paul style guitars from the same place and even after setting them up they had (and still do have) fretbuzz. I even took them to an experienced professional tech at a local shop (since I've never had a guitar with fret problems before) here and they did a full setup and it still buzzes. I'm gonna bring them back into the shop and have him level the frets if they need it.

With the SX Bass, it's the same fretbuzz, except a million times worse.

Here's a few pictures:

sx-bass.jpg

Fairly high action I'd say.

Lol, don't mind the D string being out of the nut, I was messing around with the bass before I took the picture.

Anyways, it's funny. I read so many reviews on the Agile guitars and SX basses before making my purchase and it seemed like 99% of them were great reviews....a small majority have the problems I'm having. I probably should've sent it back for a return, but oh well.

8. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Just wondering, on what parts of the neck do you get the fret buzz?

9. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    He gets the buzz towards the nut. tbh, if you buy a bass.. it will need a setup. Go spend your money on a MIM and pay the exact same for the setup that will need, that you will need for the SX. As far as the Lakland that is an obvious upgrade. But there may still be a setup needed. Never bought a lakland so i never had the chance to see how they arrive. It depends on what you want. But i'll be honest the chances of getting a bass and it being setup to how you like.. it's amazingly small. Then again i'm very picky... just ask my luthier :ninja:

10. Nevandal

Nevandal

Jul 13, 2008
    All over the neck

11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Sounds like a technique issue to me.

12. Nevandal

Nevandal

Jul 13, 2008

Actually, it sounds like all of you guys work for SX.

It's not a technique issue, and as I've stated before, the bass has been properly setup and intonated, I assure you.

It's almost like you're trying to defend against the possibility that this $120 bass guitar has problems with it's frets. As if I've never played another fretted instrument in my life or something. Give me a break.

13. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Or it could be a technique issue.

14. :D

Seriously, + 1. With an action that high, you shouldn´t have a problem with fret buzz. Unless the neck has a severe backbow, but we can rule that out, can´t we?

15. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Whatever you do with an SX bass,it will never ever feel&play as smooth as a Lakland.I myself am a Lakland user (44-01) and there's no mode that'd make me choose an SX over a Lakland.

However,without a proper setup,Laklands,Foderas,Sadowskys etc. will buzz.

16. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    With a 'buzzing' setup that high, I'd say it's definitely a technique issue.

17. Nevandal

Nevandal

Jul 13, 2008
    Alright fellas, since you apparently will never believe me, give me a surefire way to test the amount of fretbuzz without factoring in my technique.

How about something involving a 12 string guitar capo. What do you say. Or should I continue to fret a note with the force of a thousand elephants to no avail?

18. You dared to attack, the sacred cow!

19. ryan(MAIDEN)

ryan(MAIDEN)

Jan 27, 2008
    this thread has made me chuckle hahahaha

20. Nevandal

Nevandal

Jul 13, 2008
    Is this the standard Talkbass initiation thread or something? What's next? Swirlies and wedgies? Lol..

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021