Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What should I do??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cornbread, Sep 6, 2000.

1. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I just bought an Ampeg BA-115 last week, and I like it much better than my Peavey. Today, however, I saw an SWR Workingman 15 used for $330 ($30 less than the Ampeg). The SWR has more features that I like than the Ampeg, especially the switch to shut off the horn. My Ampeg is pretty hissy, while the SWR eliminates that. My question is, is the used (1 year I guess) WM-15 a better deal than a new BA-115?? I can still return the Ampeg if I'd be better off with the SWR. But, I need to decide before the return period is up (next week). What should I do?

Dave

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My advice to you is that if you still have the opportunity to return the Ampeg, make sure you like the SWR more. Switching amps often is a pain in the kiester! But, if you've found something you like more, then, BY ALL MEANS, make the trade!

You'll be happier in the long run!

3. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Thanks RAM. Does anyone have experience with both of these amps? I'd like to know if anyone was in the same situation and which amp did he/she choose. I know it's ultimately up to me, but what are the cold hard facts concerning the two?

Dave

4. Ok, Cornbread, here is my experience with a very similar situation...

When I got back into playing recently, I investigated amps and came down to SWR or Ampeg combos. Went to GC and tried the Ampeg B328 and the SWR WM15. I wound up going home with the SWR. It was kind of "sold" to me by the salesguy because it's very flexible, can run an ext. cabinet and is big enough and loud enough to play with a band on it's own. I took it home, but I have to admit that I had really been impressed with the Ampeg tone...

A few days go by at home with the WM15, and I come to realize that I just could not get into it's tone; it just wasn't working for me. Despite all the great reviews and the cool features, I decided that I just preferred the tone of the Ampeg, even though it's smaller and less powerful. So, I went back, swapped for the B328 (about an even swap $ wise) and have really enjoyed my little Ampeg. Just has a sound that makes me want to play.

Now, SWR lovers PLZ don't take offense! I like SWR a lot; their pro stuff and cabs kick ass. Just the WM15 didn't cut it for me taste-wise is all, even though it's superior in many ways to my little Ampeg.

I think what's most important for you, Cornbread, is NOT which amp is the "better deal", but which sound do you prefer? Because there is a world of difference between Ampeg and SWR. Warm and rockin with some grit (Ampeg) or clean, Hi-fi, modern with the WM15.

Of course, having said all that, I'm now ready to upgrade to more size and power, so I'm picking up my new Fender Bassman 400 2x10 combo next week at BassNW :D :D But, I thought Cornbread might find my little story useful.....somehow :p

By the way, I have played the BA115 and it is OUTSTANDING, in my opinion. You just have to decide which tone you like better.

[Edited by Slaphappy on 09-06-2000 at 05:40 PM]

5. I have a WM-15 too, and I'm really not that fond of it.

Mostly, it just sat in our practice studio so I wouldn't have to haul my good rig back and forth to practices. I haven't been able to get sounds out of it that please me... it's a very sterile-sounding amp. Now it's sitting in my storeroom and hasn't been turned on in months. My Fender BXR-25 sounds better for home practice at low volumes.

In addition to the soul-less sound, it's balanced and shaped so wierd that it's difficult to carry... completely out of line with its relatively light weight.

If I had it to do over again I'd check out more amps before buying. I bought the WM-15 without hearing it except for a couple minutes in the music store. I should have looked at some other stuff.

Oh well, it's OK as a "leave it in the practice room" amp.

[Edited by michaeln on 09-07-2000 at 05:47 AM]

6. I am going threw the same thing...I heard nothing but good things about Ampeg BA115. Also I been looking at SWR's workingman series. Cause I hear good things about them. I am going to go to the store and play them both and see which one I like better.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, here's what I do. I have a WM-12, and it has pretty good tone for a 112, but it needs a little Tabasco sauce. I've found that putting my SansAmp Bass Driver DI between the bass and the amp provides a remarkable kick to the leetle thang. Try that, why don't ya?

8. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    That's another $150 for the DI. Although I've read only good things about the SansAmp, I don't like the idea of buying an amp then immediately getting an expensive extra to get the right sound.(don't get me wrong, if I needed a neat little DI, I'd definitely check out the SansAmp)
    I really would have to try out the SWR with my bass because on first impression, I think the Ampeg puts out a lot more low end than the SWR. The SWR is louder though, just not really the sound I like. It's probably the flatwounds more than anything; I don't really like the sound of roundwounds, which I tried when I tested the SWR.

Anyway, Slaphappy,your story was useful, though you have a higher end Ampeg combo. I guess the moral of the story is go with whatever sound good to ME, no matter what name is o the amp.
    Michaeln, you're right about the awkward shape. I wonder how SWR can put some really practical features on their amps, yet make them difficult to carry? Actually, the one I tried had casters, which would help some.

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll stick to the Ampeg and quit yapping. :)

Dave

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    So far the descriptions of the WM have been accurate IME. I've played a bunch of them and they're great...if you like that sound. I don't.

I use a B-100R for a wide variety of styles (of music and playing). Couldn't be happier with this combo. I still check everything else out (part of the disease ;)) and I haven't been remotely tempted to switch, especially by SWR, Eden, Roland, Fender, etc.

10. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    One other thing to consider is the condition of that SWR.The price is about half what they sell for new so id check it out thoroughly before buying.Also like the others i just prefer the sound of my BA-115 MUCH more than the SWR WM series.Good luck!