Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What should I do

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrPrashant, May 5, 2003.

1. MrPrashant

MrPrashant

Dec 13, 2002
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers
    I recently was informed that my Trace Elliot amp was obsolete because of no customer service. I dont know that this is true, but regardless, it is a GP7SM, its in great shape, but I was told that it would be better suited for my band to get an Ampeg tube system. My band plays a mix of jazz, funk, soul, hip hop, and rock, so I need a very versatile and powerful unit. What would you guys do?

2. I understand your anxiety, but if you like the sound, and it's loud enough, why not just keep it?

Just save the money you would spend on something new in case you have a problem.

3. MrPrashant

MrPrashant

Dec 13, 2002
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers
    thanks for the input, the only reason Im worried is because I have had a terrible history with any electronic device, and I am afraid of losing the 600 i put in, in the event that something should go wrong. I am just really confused as to what to do.

4. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    If you're happy with it, I'd keep it. Even if Trace Elliott was an operational company with outstanding service, if the amp goes down, you're still gonna need a back up of some kind. A 3 day repair turnaround doesn't do you any good if you're halfway through the first set and things go quiet.

If you usually have PA support, you're backup could be as simple as a DI. If not, any half-decent head is good to have around as long as it'll make some noise.

I use an ADA MB-1 and ADA's factory burned down years ago. It's been as reliable as the sun, but I still carry an old Sunn Coliseum head just in case the preamp OR the power amp fails. I usually don't even unload the thing, but it's in the truck just in case.

By the way, just because Trace is gone doesn't mean you can't get the amp repaired if need be. Electronics is electronics. I did a search on Google for "Trace Elliott amplifier repair" and there's a few places that can do it.