What should I do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pgnbstrd, May 11, 2003.

1. Here's my dilemma,
    I have a 2002 Ernie Ball Sterling. I like the bass a lot, but since I've gotten my thumb bo, I haven't played the sterling for more than an hour or two at practice.

I work at Guitar Center (please no flames, I like my job, and don't try to rip people off).
    I have the chance to get two basses in exchange for my Sterling.
    A Schecter Cst4 and an Ibanez srx500.
    The schecter is an Amazing bass for the money, even if I don't trade in the sterling; I'll end up with this bass.
    The Ibanez supprised me a lot. I haven't played an Ibanez bass that sounded this good or responded this well in many many years.

My reasoning about thinking about the swap is:
    1: It's hard to justify having a nice bass like the Sterling just sitting around not getting played.
    2: why not get two different sounding basses to have a bit more diversity in my arsenal (btw I've spent a good hour or so a/b ing the sterling and the srx500 and have gotten almost the exact same sterling tone out of the Ibanez, but the still had a bit more flexibility with the Ibanez than the sterling.

So basically I'm wondering you all in TB think I'm a lunatic for wanting to trade off my sterling, or if I'm looking at it logically.

Thanks for your time and any posts.
  2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Without a doubt, keep the sterling!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. If I was in your place, I would trade it.. If other two kids cover the old guy's job much better, and you hardly ever play it, why not?
  4. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    why don't you just trade it for a fretless or a five string?
  5. So the Sterling, a classic instrument is sitting around.

And you want a Schecter Cst4 and an Ibanez srx500 to sit around instead.

The Sterling has re-sale value over time.
    The other two will have very little in a few years.

I'd rather have 2 good instruments then a
    boat-load of (rap.
  6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I'll take an "old guy" that will be around for years to come, than a couple kids that will be obsolete in the next few. Quality and tone, there aren't many currently mass produced instruments that surpass Ernie Ball.

If you are on here asking questions, you have doubts on parting with it....KEEP!

I wish I still had my EB basses :(

I do not miss my Ibanez, and never played a current schecter I liked a bit.
  7. ernieballman

May 1, 2003
    yo pgn i too live in Grand Rapids and i admit i like guitar center better than firehouse which is right next door. I was going to buy the Sterling from GC, but got a better deal and got it for $800. I think iv'e met you at GC a few times i bought a galien-kreuger amp from there a month ago.

8. I'm the manager with all the earings, and the labret. Do you play with any one in town?
  9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'd keep the Sterling. Trust me, there will come a day that you wished you had it!

Either that, or trade it to me (if it's a maple board)!
  10. sambass

Apr 15, 2003
  11. ernieballman

May 1, 2003
    Hey pgn, i recently met the bassist to slant, their a local po rock band. Also i know the former bassist of domestic problems.