1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What should I expect from a Lakland DJ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chrisk-K, May 6, 2010.

1. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Well, I don't really need another J. But I bought a Lakland DJ (natural, maple board, black inlay) because it looks so cool. It'll arrive tomorrow. Compared with a Fender J, how is the DJ different in terms of tone and playability? If I don't like the stock pickups, I'll probably install active Barts with a 3 band EQ to make it a modern J.

2. tdizzle

tdizzle

Aug 3, 2009
    Detroit, MI
    It has a much "cleaner" sound than a Fender. I would characterize it as a Fender in a tuxedo. Not as much grind, not as much dirt. It is already more modern.

3. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    Greatness!

4. dj5

dj5

Sep 17, 2009
    England
    Mine has Aero's, which are the best p/ups I have come across, so I don't know about the Lakland/Hanson p/ups, but mine is anything you want - agressive, smooth, burpy, p bassish, and all passive. Being V/V/Tone gives you a multitude of tones, and I'd give it a while before you go active - you may not have to.
    Also if it's a plek model, you'll get near-perfect fretwork (in terms of level anyway, so you'll be able to get the action as low as you want.
    Best J I ever had (but I wouldn't say it's more "modern" sounding than the Fender equivalent, but perhaps that's just the Aero's).
    Good luck. Why not report back after a few days?
    (And make sure you get the right strings on it - as always, incredibly important)

5. I have found DR Sunbeams to be just made for my DJ5. It compliments what ever ton eI am looking for. I did upgrade the pre/pups with JEAST pre and Delano pups. It still can keep that passive tone but when you flip the switch it is as modern as you want. Having never ben much of a Jbass guy this one is off the charts. Many times I have thought of trading or selling because of GAS but I just cant do it...yet anyways. Good things are in a DJ...you'll see.

6. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    expect the dj to kick ass. best looks and sound

7. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    You have there one of the BEST looking DJs ever made (IMHO)!

I had a pearl white Dj4 and then a pearl white DJ5.....I had the J-retro in both of mine so it was more "modern sounding" than a typical J but I could still get grind....after taking the J-retro out (the say before selling the DJ5) I played it and had to say that it DID have grind....

I think you will like it.....from a playability standpoint as well as a quality standpoint. The kicker is that Lakland has some of the best customer service in the business....the ONLY reaosn I do not have one like you described is that learned to play 5 strings between the time they were announced and orders started arriving....and I like the 5er versatility so I cancelled my order....now if Lakland would produce a 5er in that configuration......I may be in serious trouble with my wife if you know what I am saying!

8. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I'd agree with that. I have a DJ5 with lakland pickups, and compared to my 78 jazz, I'd say the DJ is more detailed but less aggressive.

9. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes

Jan 2, 2009
    Interesting...

I also just purchased a placid blue (with matching headstock) Skyline DJ bass from Bass Central and it will delivered tomorrow. I can't wait to check it out.

10. bamabass

bamabass

May 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I had the exact DJ that you are getting. Mine had aeros and it was the sickest Jazz I have played. If it were a five, I would have kept it. I keot mine passive and it was great, and imho, beautiful vintage jazz tone

11. mas502arc

mas502arc

May 14, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Anyone want to trade your Skyline DJ5 (with maple fretboard, of course) for my Skyline 55-01? :bag: