Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What should I expect from GC?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassgal, Oct 19, 2005.

1. bassgal

bassgal

Jan 15, 2005
    I am planning on buying a new bass as some of you have helped me decide on here.

The one I am trying is at GC , a Schecter. The thing is I can tell that is has really been demoed a lot (finger prints all over it etc.

It retails for 499.99 and here is the thing-- should I expect them to sell the wall model cheaper since the whole city has been playing it? Or should I expect them to get me a new untouched version? I would rather have the wall one because I like the action and sound.

I am not sure what would be the correct protocol in this situation.

Or am I just way off bass :p here?

Thanks Staci

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    If you're willing to take a "demo" off their hands, I don't think it's inappropriate at all to talk the price down/have some strings or a gig bag thrown in/etc. You're doing them a favor by taking a used bass out of their stock.

...and premature congratulations on the bass!

3. Not a marching band bass "babe" by any chance...been seeing a lot of them lately at festivals, and many of them are pretty good players...

But you can't go wrong with the new Schecters - they have great action and really nice sound. If you found it in the store, and it "speaks" to you (which it sounds like this one does), take it home and treat it well...it will do the same to you.

As for GC - they like to cut deals, and will do almost anything to make a sale. If they're asking 499 as selling price, start at 300 or 350...end up at 400? It's like buyin' a car...you get the same song and dance (said as a former car salesman).

Hint: if you really really want it, then maybe start at 400... but if it isn't going anywhere, you can always wait until the last days of the month when they really want to make a deal - but of course, you run the risk of someone buying it before you do.

It's very hard to walk away from a bass when you play it in the store and it just "feels right." Good luck!!

4. guitarkim79

guitarkim79

May 8, 2002
    Chicago
    I've found that you can get good deals at GC on brand new, still in the box basses, and even better deals on the stuff that has been on the floor for a while

Definitely try to get a good deal and/or some free stuff! Maybe someone here recently bought one, and they could let you know what they ended up paying. Also, check Harmonycentral. Sometimes, people put the price they paid in their reviews.

5. GC is famous for selling instruments without a gig bag or a case even though the manufacturer ships the instrument with one and the manufacturer's "list price" reflects the cost of the cost of the bag or case. Check the manufacturer's website to see if the bass was shipped with a bag/case. If it was, DO NOT PAY EXTRA for the case/bag. That should be non-negotiable. If you want the demo, don't pay the full price. In your case, I'd offer $300 and wouldn't pay more than $400. Don't worry...they'll take it. Are you paying cash or using a credit card? If you're paying cash, you should be able to negotiate a set of strings since they won't have to pay the fee that the credit card card company charges merchants. You should be able to walk out with the bass, a gig bag/case and a new set of strings for $400 or less. Don't be afraid to negotiate, they expect it and don't think twice about it.