1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What should I expect from this situation?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Kickin'Fruit, Oct 7, 2006.

1. I got picked up into a band about a month and a half ago with the band leader pretty much picking songs etc. We've played a cover and have some originals on the setlist but the originals are from his last band.

Now, I'm in a situation where I can choose to stay where I am for the winter to get involved in the gigs and stuff, or I can go for a "work-study" program that would prevent me from staying here and playing in the band. I really want to stay in this band and get the experience of doing gigs because this is my first band and I want to get a lot out of it being that I don't know when the next band opportunity will open up. Anyway, in this upcoming time slot where I have the choice to stay or go the bassist from the original band is coming back to the area. What sort of thoughts should be going through my head about this? If I leave, they are most certainly going to pick him back up and when I do come back in the spring I don't know if I'll still have a spot. Also, I'm concerned that if I DO stay, they'll pick him back up anyway and drop me. Is this a reasonable concern? Should I stay or should I go?

Also keep in mind this band is formed new, new drummer, new bass (me), and new band name. Should I consider it the old band with just the new band name and expect to give up the bass spot when this kid gets back? Thanks for anything you can give me.

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I think you should be asking these questions, to your band leader.

3. i think you're right.

4. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    The REAL question is: Does the work-study opportunity mean more to you than the band? Is the work-study related to your chosen career path, or is the band going to be your career? If the band's going to be your career, you know the answer to your question. If your real career is something different, and if it would benefit from the work-study, then you also know the answer to your question.

Unfortunately, as you go through life you will have lots of decisions like this, and you VERY SELDOM get to have it both ways!

5. well i have to do the workstudy at some point anyway, part of a graduation requirement so rightnow it's either do it inthe winter or in the spring.

I think I'd almost rather do it in the winter because I'd like to be back at college in the spring when it's a lot nicer out.

6. There will always be another band. Pay attention to your school and studies first. Finish them, get good grades, make sure you are taking care of your primary obligations first. Bands come and go and the worst thing you can do is blow your school momentum by chasing a band pipe dream. It is a lot harder to 'get back into school' then it is to get into another band.

Oh man... I am officially an old, fart dad now, aren't I?

Seriously... You can go 100 miles in any direction and find another dozen bands just like the one you are in right now.

7. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    The EXACT SAME situation happened to me. I was brought in to take over for a bass player that moved to Argentina. It was implied that it was a permanent position. The bassist came back three months later and the band decided they wanted him back, so I got kicked out. We did probably 20 gigs in those months, and I knew the material well, it wasn't as if I was bad, but they kinda avoided telling me that the old bassist was going to be in the band again until the last week of the last show.

They are good guys though, I don't harbor them any ill will. They did compensate me for my work, which is a nice gesture. I would have liked to stay with them, but now I'm moving on to different things. Probably not better, since the old band kicked so much ass.. but different.

8. millard

millard

Jul 27, 2004
    SoCal
    +1 for tZer's comments.

Nail down the school stuff, take care of business, come back to these guys or find some others. If I had a nickel for every band that formed and disbanded within a year...I think it happened again while I was writing this -- I could feel the ripple in the force.

Just keep playing. Keep your skill level up. Don't set your bass aside just because you are not in a band at the moment. Learn a bunch of cover songs in the style you would like to play in, so when you get a shot at a different band in the spring, they'll hear your chops and sign you on.

Unless you are working towards being a professional musician, don't let it get in the way of your career or studies.

Millard

9. Right, I'm not looking to make this a professional thing. Definitely in the Hobby crowd. But I would love to at least do a couple gigs in bars. I feel like that is the real band experience and I would be happy only doing a few of those to put another chapter in my book of life. And right now I feel like I'm real close to that and I won't feel so bad if they replace me because I'll have that behind me to say 'I did it' But I will definitely take all your advice and stick with my head in the books. I've been a lot more focused lately because of going to the gym when we haven't had band practice (it's been about 2 weeks now) and I realize I'm addicted to exercise :) Thanks

10. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I agree with tZer - bands will come and go. I wouldn't get too hung up on the fact that this is your first. You've had fun and learned a lot, and that makes this a positive experience even if it comes to and end soon.

I've been following your posts about this band from the beginning - I joined a band at about exactly the same time and I've seen a lot of parallels between what you have going on and what I have going on.

Can I ask how many songs your band has ready so far? From your original post it sounds like one cover, and some originals? Is that right? How many originals?

11. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    it depends on whats more important to you really, if you're looking for a career in music performance, then I'd personally go with the band for the winter, you need as much gigging experience at a younger age as is possible!

12. One cover and three originals. We are working on our fourth, but the other ones were pretty much just leftovers from their previous band. I wouldn't really say that I write any basslines because all I really do is make the sound fuller by playing the root. If I want to get real fancy I throw in a slide or a hammer on. I like the one cover because it actually allows me to play something more exciting

13. Well is 23 young? :) And I wouldn't want a career in music performance, I think engineering pays better :) but would definitely be a fun hobby!

14. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I'm sure that you're making progress, and that you're learning - but I believe that you'll find another band soon that is just as good or better. I wouldn't worry too much about parting ways with this group if that is what is best for you right now.

15. Guys, just a little update. OUR FIRST SHOW IS THIS FRIDAY!!!! I'm so psyched it's unbelievable. Wow. Really I attribute all of my success so far to all of you hear on talkbass.com. It's really amazing all of the information and inspiriation I have gotten from this site.

I do have some troubles still though. I've decided to stay another semester at college for classes etc. not for the band specifically. Anyway, I hear the other bassist is coming back and that at a party tonight I was introduced as a "temporary bassist" this is pretty messed up in my opinion. I feel like I'm in a fight for a place in the band. I do have a few points in my favor though, let me know if they have firm grounding:

I have better stage presence (I actually move about and dance and get involved in the music rather than stand there like a bump on a log like the other bassist)

I meld better with the band in that I have similar creative personality and general vibe going on outide of music.

I hear that the other bassist is a little more solid in the root than I am, I feel this is said because I try to embellish sometimes to experiment if I could come up with a catchy bassline... should I just stick to the root and do solid basics to keep my place?

Please any comments are very welcome! Thank you all!

16. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    well, if your band members are introducing you as a temp, then you're either going to have to do everything they say, and then still be in jeopardy, or find a new band.

17. The fact that they introduced you as a "temporary bassist" is not a very good sign I guess.

I would say; just talk to the band leader or to the whole band if you prefer and put things strait with them about your concerns. After that you will have a better knowledge of your situation and will be easier for you to take a desition on what to do.

Regarding what to play; I'm playing currently with a new band (very nice guys) and every once in a while I ask them their opinion on my sound and playing. Usually is ok, but when they do suggest some changes I just try to adjust my playing. I think that helps to keep everybody happy.

Good luck!!!

18. Update: Well last night we had our first gig (my first ever) we played amazing, I was a little nervous about forgetting all of the songs, but I had a few Guiness and it calmed me down. Everyone said how amazing we played and how "tight" we sounded. I felt like that was a big compliment to the rythym section. You agree? Everyone else in the band was really happy with the way we played too minus the few self criticisms, but I think that's what keeps you improving. A few very experienced bass players in the crowd said I played really well and had great stage presence and locked in. I can't wait for the next one! (if there is a next one, hopefully this earned me a permanent spot)

19. Hey that's good news.
    Yeah, lets hope the well done job helps you to earn that permanent spot!!!:bassist:

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You want to play a gig with four songs? We've got 60 covers ready after four months in existence. You guys'd better get humping.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021