Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What should I expect music do to for me?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lackey, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've been thinking about this a lot lately,, particularly because I'm out of school now,, and my band is getting some attention by the record labels. Actually I should know within a week if we're getting signed by one of them. BUT,, If that doesnt work out,, what then? Do I work at a car lot for the next 35+ years and look back and say "wow,, I wish that had worked out",, or do we keep working at it as a band until either a) we make it,, or b) we are forced to conform to the reality of the 9 to 5,, Monday thru Friday grind after we run out of patience! Will I be playing bass every day 30 years from now,, or will my time and money go towards (God forbid!!!) a large family? Even if we DO get signed,, that in itself doesn't mean much. Could I spend my time trying to get noticed in the music biz,, when I could be at college furthering my education for a modern day job. Oh well,, only God knows!!

Actually,, this post really doesn't make any sense at all,, but i needed to vent a little!!

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    All you can expect is what you put into it. I'm a painter (artistic kind) as a first profession, with music as a fallback. Not the best combo if you're out for the big bucks. Do I have to work crappy jobs to help pay the rent now and then? Yes. Does it make the effort I put into music or art any less worthy? No. I get so much enjoyment from putting work into my playing and coming out a better player that it is payment enough. I may not make it as a professional artist or bassist or whatever, but the art and music I make will continue to enrich my life, no matter where I'm working. It makes me happy to think that when I get older, I'll come home from some 9-5 job, and instead of plopping in front of the TV, I can sit down and create music, or teach my kids to paint, basically I will have the ability to create and better my own and possibly other people's lives.

All you can do is sit back and appreciate whatever comes your way, whether it be making a living at what you love, or going home at the end of the day and doing what you love. Keep trying to make a living from it if you can, and good luck to you, but there's so much that you can gain by creating that it's worth it no matter what.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    You're right, your post didn't make much sense to me... :oops:

It seems to me that you somehow think, that if you can't make money on music and/or become famous, it isn't worth your time? Do you really need the strive for a record deal as a driving force?

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Music should move you.
    Let you express yourself.
    Let you relax.
    Let you find yourself.
    Let you forget about the world.
    Let you learn something about yourself.
    Let you dream while still awake.

All that being said, I would love to be in a cool rock band at the same time. Imagine having all that, plus a killer band (of course playing what you wanna play) with awesome guys in it, and touring the world so that everyone else can hear what you do.

I love music. :D

Peace
    Nick

5. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the reminders guys,, of course me being sick for the last week and home alone has contributed to general lack of intellect!!!

Time to go play thru the rig!!

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Music should make you more interesting for girls. If you aren't getting more lucky, then you should quit playing! :D

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Ask not what music can do for you, but what you can do for music!! ;)

Now the serious answer - I think that making money out of a rock/pop band is about the same as entering a national lottery!

But there are lots of people doing music full-time - as teachers, as orchestral musicians, etc They put a lot in, in terms of studying and learning about music. So for example if you can sight-read anything in one "take" then you will probably always get work in music.

As others have said - you get out, what you put in!

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you feel your life is complete without playing music, if you don't have a need to make music, then that is where you will find your answer.

9. Jerry, Jr.

Jerry, Jr.

Jun 7, 2002
    Boston, MA
    It seems like you're getting a lot of intelligent responses to your post and I just want to throw my $0.02 into the mix.

I've been playing music for 16 years now and gigging for 14 of those years. I play music because I absolutely love to. There have been times over the years when I stopped playing for a while. Once for almost 2 years! But, every time it was the love of music and playing music with friends and fellow musicians that brought me back.

I think it's great to shoot for a record deal, touring, MTV, etc. But, is that's the only reason you play music then you're missing out on the big picture. I am realistic about my dreams. I would love to do music and only music to earn a living but, in the meantime I have a good job that pays the bills and allows me to purchase the necessary equipment to pursue my dreams.

Hopefully, you love to play music as much as the rest of us do and that's why you do it!

10. I have become pretty cynical about the 'record deal' thing...even if you get one there is no guarantee for success...I am in a 'signed' band right now, and the 1st single flopped, getting ready to release another one. Have I made any money? Yeah, barely enough to cover expenses. We have not done any out-of-town dates so far. You should explore some other avenues if you want to make a living playing music, cover bands, theater gigs, teaching, etc.

11. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I don't understand how you can "expect" music to do anything for you. Unfortunately, all those hours of practice and rehearsal guarantee nothing - even after the record contract is signed and sealed.

It takes a lot of hard work, over-the-top effort and perseverance to get somewhere in the music industry, and when your time comes, you have to be ready to seize the day. You never know who's gonna be in the audience - it could be David Geffen, or some guy/gal from [insert your favourite label name here] for all you know.

Sadly, a record deal is just the tip of the iceberg. Be very careful and know what your priorities are before you commit to making music full-time for the next X years. And get a lawyer to have a look at the contract before you go near it with a pen. Too many bands have been screwed, blued and tattooed by labels before.

Someone (I think it was a TBer... ?) said that talent doesn't get you in the game, it keeps you in the game. So true...

It is possible to do 9-5 and play. Working out the logistics of it (and getting enough sleep) takes a while to get used to though, as I am finding out...