Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What should I get . . Around $2,200?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Mar 11, 2005.

1. What is your advise as to what custom bass I should get [rather, luthier I can work with to fit my need]? Wanting 6 string, tap dancing around the $2,200 give or take a hundred or so one way or the other.

I've already been talking with Jacob Marchlewski, so he's already in the running. What is your input?

Thanks!

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You may be able to get a bass from Pete Skjold for somewhere close to your price range.

Skjold basses

3. the question is what do you like....
    as you know most builders have "set" models which they use and develop. Based on that information what are you looking for, tone wise, playability, equipment, etc. Thats will also help in your decision.
    $2,200 for a custom job may place some limitations on how fancy the woods, and electronics will be, but i suspect you can find a number of luthiers that can do it.
    Lastly, consider time frames, as many builders line up committments and have waiting times. i have no comment on a specific builder.
    frank

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

5. Tajimodo

Tajimodo

Feb 1, 2004
    Shrewsbury, MA
    two choices come to mind--Jack Read Custom Bolton Ma, and
    Michael Dolan Santa Curz, CA Both do excellent work and a pleasure to work with

6. MAJOR METAL

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Be sure to do a search for comments on Chris Stambaugh. You'll find quite a few. Also, check out his site at www.stambaughdesigns.com.

8. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    If what you need is a bass that does many things well you may consider a handmade "production" bass, usually you can get more for your $$. Some will even do some custom "alterations" for you if you order factory direct(wood selections, electronics, etc)If you need something very specialized, than strait custom may be the way to go(don't get a Wish!) ;)
    (ps, I was peeping a Sandberg Ken Taylor 6 in a mag today, very gassy)

9. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
  10. MAJOR METAL

True , those peavy cirrusus are some pretty nice basses.

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    There are a lot of great makers that could do you something in that price range. Just search on as many names as you can think of (Brubaker, Roscoe, Stambaugh, Nordstrand, Benavente, JP, Yamaha, Zon, Pedulla, Carvin, Peavey, Tobias, MTD, Pulcinella, Hanewinckel, Bee Basses, blah blah blah). Whatever you're considering, somebody on this forum has probably owned or played it and has something to say about it.

Personally, I had a very good experience with the English bass luthier Jon Shuker (www.shukerguitars.co.uk), and his prices were great, though now slightly less great because of the slide of the dollar.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I would definitely call Carey Nordstrand before you make a decision. Among the best around, IMHO, and for a lot less than some of the biggest names.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Imagine what kind of Wishbass you could get for $2,200.

14. Don't you mean 'how many?'

Oh, & I like my Stambaugh. Very versatile & sweet-playing. I'm not sure if he'd do it for 22, though. Nordstrand seems to have a very good rep around these parts- they sure look nice.

15. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I,m gonna put one in for felow TBers Scott French, and Cliff Bordwell.

16. there are a lot of great luthiers out there. Some of my favorites are Benavente, Lowend Jazz, Skjold, Nordstrand.

17. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Doesn't get any better, imo.

18. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Stambaughs are nice for that range... thats why I own 2 of them... but my last 3 (one is on the way) are from Jake. Played a few FBB's, but the necks are too thick for my tastes...

19. So far, I like the looks of:

Nordstrand NJ Deluxe
    Marchlewski, basses loosly on the Jon Clark design.
    Benevente Vortex 6 [though I'm not sure what they are priced at]

Thinking of either spalted or burl maple with some sort of rosewood or birdseye maple fingerboard. Matching head with body.

20. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Quite a few possibilities in that price range. Check out Blueberry Hill Basses. He's got some nice basses and works with several different luthiers.