Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What should I get for a stack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Muadip, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Muadip

Muadip

Feb 19, 2005
    Denmark
    Okay I got alot of money and I'm buing a rig. The price is irrelevant. I play all genres. Everything from jazz to Heavy Metal.
    I have some options from my local ebay:

SWR Goliath Senior, 1000 W - 1000 dollars

Mesa Boogie 1516 Roadready - 1299 dollars

Mesa Boogie, 250 W, tube, head: D-180;with 2 cabs: 2x15" (C17930) og 4x10" (C21673) - 1000 dollars

Mesa Boogie 400+, 500 W, tube, new tubes (12 stk) with Mesa Boogie cabs (2x10 og 1x15) in orig. Mesa flightcases.
    - 3119 dollars

Mesa Boogie 400, 400 W, 2x15", tube, flightcases. - 2080 Dollars

EBS Fafhnar 650w with 4x10'' cab - 2773 Dollars

^^ these are the used deals I'm thinking about.

But what could I get from new to fit maybe the cabs only deals or what could be a good new deal?? It have to have tubes or atleast be very nice.

2. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    That question is impossible to answer, really. It's like asking "How rare should I order my steak?".

Well, there's no right answer. Your rig choice is pretty much up to personal preferences. Some people will live and die by Ampeg, and other hate them. Some like heads, some like racked set ups. What you need to do is try out a lot of different rigs, find the options you like and go from there.

Ted

3. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    if money doesn't matter? this will be fun :)

big club rig
    cost - approx. $6000

aguilar db680 tube preamp
    aguilar db728 tube power amp
    2 bergantino ht322 cabs

medium club rig
    cost - approx. $3000

walter woods ultra amp
    epifani ul310 cab

rehearsal rig
    cost - approx. $1000

accoustic image clarus amp
    low down sound 10" 3 way cab

4. John C. Reilly

John C. Reilly

Feb 24, 2004
    If you really do play all those genres that you listed i would probably take the d180 of your list. i have one and depending on your intended playing volume it can get a bit overdriven. do get mr wrong i love the d180 but if i were you i would picks something with more headroom. But for rock and heavy metal the d180 is pretty much the ticket.

5. Muadip

Muadip

Feb 19, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks for the imput..

I don't know the rigs the guy posted two post up, but I'll check them out...

But I'm really into that Fafhner Head :) What do you think about that?

6. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    "Just cut off his horns and wipe his a$$" I think would be the correct "Woody Harrelson" response. :rolleyes:

7. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    just goet a really good 2x10 , like an EA or an Accugroove or an epifani

check out the neodynaium speaker review on the talkbass frum homepage

noone is going to wanna help u carry ur **** everywhere

8. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Now that's easy: if it wimpers when you dig in, its PERFECT!

9. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Are you so sure you NEED a stack? Many people I know and talk to are using SMALLER rigs. Remember, you have to haul this thing around. Upstairs, through small doors, etc. While it looks cool at first to have a big "penis rig" as we call it around here, it's a pain in the butt, back, etc.

I think many people haul around way more gear than they REALLY need. For big gigs, chances are there's a PA, for smaller gigs, a QUALITY amp and cab will do fine. For me, 700 watts into a quality 12"/horn cab is just fine.

Like others have said, it's hard to answer. You need to try as much stuff as you can. Listen with your EARS, not your EYES.

10. You NEED the huge imposing rig! Don't listen to the sissys :D, show is a big part of live music today, and a rediculously huge rig looks awesome. Get a 2x10 or some puny looking thing for practice and bring your big rig to the show. According to your profile you're 20 years old, so I say enjoy the luxury of some huge rig while you can.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Buy a couple Epifani 112's. I don't know about the Epi amps, but I am quite sure they are of the same high quality as the cabinets.

-Mike

12. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Well... for the record, the Mesa 400+ is really about 300Watts, if I'm not mistaken. But that's still very, very loud.

For your rig, I suggest something versatile, since you play many different types of music. And whats the most versatile setup I can think of? Honestly, it'd be a pre-power setup. You could have different preamps for different acts you play with, and different genres. However, if you really wanna go tube, then maybe the 400+ is for you then.

Also, I would suggest getting 2 medium sized cabs instead of 1 giant. Why? Well.... you wont always need 6 speakers. What if your band has to play in an awkward spot? Also, what if that awkward spot is a jazz gig that doesnt require a massive stack?? Do you wanna haul a 610 cab up a flight of stairs? Also, there might be times when you want bigger speakers for more bottom end (heavy metal and such). So... maybe you should take your time and piece together a more diverse rig, since you claim to be a diverse musician.

I'm not sure about product availability where you are... but maybe you should take a look at options that would give you the opportunity to change your rig at will. Maybe have a SS preamp as well as a Tube Preamp (Ampeg, Aguilar, etc). And pick up one cab to start off with (likely a 410), and see what you think of it. Maybe you'll love it, and you'll get another one..... or maybe you'll say "This isnt low enough" and you'll look for 12's or a 15 to add to it. You never know until you try it in an actual testing situation.... which is why I think its safer to buy in pieces and buy in bulk.

But... your choice.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Surprised I didn't see Gallien-Krueger on that list. I find them very versatile, from funk to metal to jazz I use one amp for everything.

14. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Here ya go! This is what I call a stage rig!
    two 4052H Bright Boxes
    two 1048H 410 with horns
    two 1518 115 cabs
    two RA600 power amps
    two road cases to hold the cabs
    Just add a preamp of your choice (V-type for me :D ) and your set! [​IMG]

BTW, this is Greg Lake's rig from his last tour with ELP (Emerson, Lake, and Palmer) and can be yours for the unbelievable low price :rolleyes: of $3000!

15. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    From what you have listed, I would pick the 400+ and the 2 Mesa cabinets. The 400+ is very loud and sounds great. For smaller shows you could take just one cab, both for bigger. I have never heard the Fafner though, I would want to try them both before buying.

16. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    And don't forget to throw in a combo amp. You will surely need one of those 150 pound combos! :D

17. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Glock pre with Meyer PA cabs.