Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What should I get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ElCahol, Oct 27, 2003.

1. ElCahol

ElCahol

Oct 27, 2003
    Albuquerque NM
    Hola all! I am new to the bass world and was curious what sorts of recommendations you all would have as far as what type of amp and effects set-up I should acquire. I like playing metal (not the commercial stuff you hear on the radio, but the hard stuff). I already have guys that are asking me to play with them, and would like a set-up that I could gig with. Of course, cost is a factor too. So....... All input is appreciated. BTW, I have a LH Warlock bass if that matters. Thanks, Derek

2. What kind of budget are you looking at? Any idea of what size of gigs? You won't need anything really fancy, especially if you are just starting.

3. ElCahol

ElCahol

Oct 27, 2003
    Albuquerque NM
    As far as budget goes, I would like to stay around $500. I can spend as much as $1000. I think we will be playing some local bars here in Albuquerque. Nothing real big. I am not planning on being the next Billy Sheehan, I just enjoy music and have played something all my life (trumpet, piano, tuba and a little guitar). So.... Is there some sort of "formula" for figuring how big an amp one will need?
    thanks-Derek

4. Well, you can run anything through a system, I've played at battles just in halls where some bands have a 25 watt bass amp that can be heard fine, but whats the fun in that? Do you have some idea of what you want? like a head and cab, or combo? check out www.musiciansfriend.com
    they've got lotsa stuff to get an idea, ebay too. I just bought a yorkville head and cab, they are excellent value and quality. I spend 1385 (canadian) for the new xs400 head and a 410 cab, but even just a 200 or so watt amp would certainly be more than sufficient. Maybe check out a Hartke with an avatar cab? www.hartke.com and www.avatarspeakers.com

5. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
  6. Check out the Ampeg SVT's they are rugged and will last a life time.

Just because you are new doesn't mean you should use crap gear!

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Treena, i think he is looking for a head and a cab in the 500-1000 dollar range. A SVT will easily take all that money, and there will be none left for a cab. What i would do if i were you (well, i did it about 8 months ago) Look at local newspapers and gear classifieds until you find something that interestes you at a price you can afford. Call up the person, or store, and ask if you can set up a "Check-out session" where you just bring your bass, and your old amp, and just check it out. Before you get to the actual session, check reviews for the item on Harmony Central, they have a huge Bass Amp reviews section. Get familiar with the amp through the reviews, and then apply your knowledge during the "check out session", and if all checks out, purchase. if it doesn't, just wait for soemthing else to come along. Used is definaltly the way to go when you have a tight budget for a sweet rig. I've gotten many good deals by just waiting and seeing whats around. I got my 4x10 and my 1x15 for 350 used, (older hartke 4x10 XL and a newer Peavey 1x15BX), and i also got my Ampeg SVT-3 Pro used for 350. I was just patient, and i didn't need a new amp, but i was considering. so i just waited until something good came my way. I ended up trading the cabs for an Ampeg SVT1540HE (a 4x10 and a 1x15 in a huge box) and now everything is phenomenal, and cost me a total of $700.
    Also, My Local Guitar Center has 3 Gallien-Kruger 1001RB's (great amp) on closeout for $475 right now. If you sent me $500 (to cover the shipping/packaging) I could send it to you. That is a great price for a great amp.

Good Luck,
    Scott