1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What should i get??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Figjam, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Since this is music related and not one specific thing, i guess here would be ok.

I have about $180. I am either going to buy Bartolini pickups for my fretless SX P bass or http://www.rondomusic.bigstep.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$WGQ4WGAAAAOOXTZENUFETIWPERWRJPX0?UCIDs=850849%7C940496&PRID=1051077 that Essex. I dont know what to buy? I have a jazz bass but i kind of permanently loaned it to a friend. Besides, this one is prettier. Any advice?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Fig- Go For the Brice V2 Active Fretless 5. Me and Def are doin it, why aren't you? $159 + Shipping...

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hmm a 5 string.. *thinks it over* I already have a fretless and kinda was lookin into gettin a better bass for slapping but ill think it over. Out of the original 2 choices though, any opinion?

4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I would say Nay on new pickups, unless you absoulutley need them. Go bass! Then you'll have 4 basses, like me! No really, I think that the ash/maple will be a great bass for slapping. Mod the hell out of that one. Besides, what are you trying to improve on the Essex? I'd say add a Bridge pickup for big results.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Now that you mention it, i dont really want new pickups for all that many reasons. Basicaly i was looking for something louder and maybe alittle smooother tone but i can deal with the current ones. If i got this ash jazz i probably wouldnt want to spend money on it because i want to start saving up for a Stingray soon. My goal is to have one around this time next year. (i plan to get a job over the summer). But i think having a completely new bass with a new tone and all is better then just getting better sound out of a pre existing one, that has nice sound to begin with.

6. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Why don't you just not buy another bass, and save up for a stringray? Actually, i would much rather buy an Ibanez ATk, They serioulsy are the stingray killer. Sound better than a stingray, feel great, and are cheap. The Ibanez for me, is my main bass. It just fits. You Drop -D it, Still stays nice and taut. Sounds great, cuts awesome, nice neck, just nice all around. I wanted a 'Ray for the longest time, but didn't feel like paying around $800 for a used one. I know you are an "Ebay Kid" and i hear that these go on there alot. For sure look at them, and serioulsy consider them. There is a pretty high demand for them, so if they aren't your thing, you can easily get rid of it. Try and find an Ash/Maple one, (Mine is) and oh my god. Just kills a 'Ray. Solid as hell. This bass fits me. I will honestly never get rid of this thing.

Peace,
    Scott D.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My reason for not putting this money towards a Ray (or ATK) is that i dont have a flow of income at the moment. I dont have a job. I wouldnt make any money until i get a job, which would be in the summer. Once i get a job, i can remake this $150 rather easily.

8. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Why are you waiting for the summer to get a job? Why not just get one now, and work 2x/week?

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I cant even work that much. I have literally one free day during the week: Wednesday.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ok i decided to take a short loan from my brother of $150. ( My birthday is next month) and i bought a mint condition 2002 Godin SD Pro. [​IMG]

11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    so true, i want another one so badly, maybe a fretless one (or make one fretless)

12. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I really want an Ash/Maple 305 to match my 300, well, i don't care if the color matches, i just want a 305!

13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    I have that maple 305 :)

great B string too! God they are perfect, i haven't felt the need to buy another bass (unless it's another ATK) :smug:

14. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I want it!!!!!!