Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What should i get??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Figjam, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Since this is music related and not one specific thing, i guess here would be ok.

I have about $180. I am either going to buy Bartolini pickups for my fretless SX P bass or http://www.rondomusic.bigstep.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$WGQ4WGAAAAOOXTZENUFETIWPERWRJPX0?UCIDs=850849%7C940496&PRID=1051077 that Essex. I dont know what to buy? I have a jazz bass but i kind of permanently loaned it to a friend. Besides, this one is prettier. Any advice?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Fig- Go For the Brice V2 Active Fretless 5. Me and Def are doin it, why aren't you? $159 + Shipping...

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hmm a 5 string.. *thinks it over* I already have a fretless and kinda was lookin into gettin a better bass for slapping but ill think it over. Out of the original 2 choices though, any opinion?

4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I would say Nay on new pickups, unless you absoulutley need them. Go bass! Then you'll have 4 basses, like me! No really, I think that the ash/maple will be a great bass for slapping. Mod the hell out of that one. Besides, what are you trying to improve on the Essex? I'd say add a Bridge pickup for big results.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Now that you mention it, i dont really want new pickups for all that many reasons. Basicaly i was looking for something louder and maybe alittle smooother tone but i can deal with the current ones. If i got this ash jazz i probably wouldnt want to spend money on it because i want to start saving up for a Stingray soon. My goal is to have one around this time next year. (i plan to get a job over the summer). But i think having a completely new bass with a new tone and all is better then just getting better sound out of a pre existing one, that has nice sound to begin with.

6. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Why don't you just not buy another bass, and save up for a stringray? Actually, i would much rather buy an Ibanez ATk, They serioulsy are the stingray killer. Sound better than a stingray, feel great, and are cheap. The Ibanez for me, is my main bass. It just fits. You Drop -D it, Still stays nice and taut. Sounds great, cuts awesome, nice neck, just nice all around. I wanted a 'Ray for the longest time, but didn't feel like paying around $800 for a used one. I know you are an "Ebay Kid" and i hear that these go on there alot. For sure look at them, and serioulsy consider them. There is a pretty high demand for them, so if they aren't your thing, you can easily get rid of it. Try and find an Ash/Maple one, (Mine is) and oh my god. Just kills a 'Ray. Solid as hell. This bass fits me. I will honestly never get rid of this thing.

Peace,
    Scott D.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My reason for not putting this money towards a Ray (or ATK) is that i dont have a flow of income at the moment. I dont have a job. I wouldnt make any money until i get a job, which would be in the summer. Once i get a job, i can remake this $150 rather easily.

8. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Why are you waiting for the summer to get a job? Why not just get one now, and work 2x/week?

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I cant even work that much. I have literally one free day during the week: Wednesday.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ok i decided to take a short loan from my brother of $150. ( My birthday is next month) and i bought a mint condition 2002 Godin SD Pro. [​IMG]

11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    so true, i want another one so badly, maybe a fretless one (or make one fretless)

12. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I really want an Ash/Maple 305 to match my 300, well, i don't care if the color matches, i just want a 305!

13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    I have that maple 305 :)

great B string too! God they are perfect, i haven't felt the need to buy another bass (unless it's another ATK) :smug:

14. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN