what should i get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yoda Masta, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Yoda Masta

Yoda Masta

Feb 14, 2005
    whats up all.. im new at this site... and at the bass! i played my friends and i was like whoah! this is fun! but some of my other friends are gunna start a band and im gunna get a bass guitar! but.. i dont know what guitars are good for beginners, which ones are the best, which have the best features, etc. So if any1 has any suggestions on what i should get and why, feel free to post! thanks
  2. Fill out your profile so we know where you live for starters (sorry if that sounds assholeish of me). Also, we need more info. Like how much you have to spend and what kind of music you will be playing. You can get a decent starter bass for pretty cheap, but if your planning on playing in a band, an amp to allow you to be heard won't be exactly on the cheap side as opposed to if you were getting a lil 15watt practice amp for playing in your bedroom.
  3. Yoda Masta

Yoda Masta

Feb 14, 2005
    ill get to my pro eventually.... i dont have much time. but i live in bloomington, minnesota. im probably willing to spent like somewhere around $100-200. i dont know how much these things are so i might spend more... ive got plenty of $. but im gunna definately be playing rock.
  4. There are a few choices for basses. Mainly what most people recommend to beginniners is either an SX, MIM (Made In Mexico) Fender or a Squier.

Let me give you the rundown here...

If you're going to be playing rock, go with either a Jazz bass or a P/J pickup configured bass.

SX(Essex) Basses
    Very low cost basses that are recommend a lot to people just starting out. Here is a Jazz bass that has gotten some pretty good reviews around here. http://www.rondomusic.net/sjb62qmdredsb.html
    Here is a P/J configured bass

MIM Fender/Squier
    These you can usually find at any music store. The Squier basses are the cheap line of Fender and aren't as good of quality as a straight up Fender is. Squier is pretty much hit-or-miss these days.

A little info on pickup configurations -

Jazz pickups tend to have more growl to them while Precision (P) pickups tend to have more low end and punch to it. A P/J configured bass will give you the best of both worlds pretty much.

Honestly, go try out some basses and find one that you like the tone of and how it feels and then get it. Here we can only give you so much information to try and tell you, but the real way to find out IMO is by playing.

Now, the $100-$200 you said you had to spend will mainly be covering a bass. Amps can get pretty expensive and I'm not the best with amps, so you might want to make a post about getting yourself one in the amps forum.

Welcome to the world of bass playing, it's fun stuff and I hope you enjoy it!

5. One other bass that I forgot to mention was the Ibanez GSR200. It's a P/J configured bass that is pretty dang good. I had (still have) one as my first bass and I know others that have and loved it.
  6. Yoda Masta

Yoda Masta

Feb 14, 2005
    sweet, thanks a lot. thats awesome. ya, ill go and check some out, well, ive g2g now, but thanks again, that was very useful and awesome. :bassist: hope things keep going well w/ ur bass guitar.