what should i get?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jumbomatumbo, Dec 22, 2000.

1. jumbomatumbo

Dec 13, 2000
    i have been playing bass for about a year. i think i need some effects, but i dont know what i should get first. i am on a budget because ill probavly just be using x-mas money. i was looking at the bass wah, and bass chorus especially. i dont really know what the bass chorus does, i just heard it makes your bass sound better. so what should i get?
  2. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I personally don't like chorus or wah, I've never found a chorus that sounds decent, and the same for wah. But that's my opinion, you may enjoy them. But for what a chorus does it makes you're single bass sound like many playing in unison. Much like a vocal chorus everyone has different timing, and the chorus pedal adds that in too. My favorite effect that I own is my MXR Phase 90, it's small, has one knob, and sounds amazing. But out of chorus or wah, I say chorus.
  3. freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    If you're looking for a variety get a cheap processor so you can hear a wide range and figure out what type of sound you want. DOD makes a multi-effects processor for around $150 that I used for about 6 months. I actually still have it and may end up selling it. Anyways if you just want wah and chorus now you're gonna want more later like phaser, reverb, compressor,etc. Just try as much as you can for as cheap as you can at first and get the expensive stuff when you know what you want.
  4. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I agree.. And another good multi-effects processor is the zoom bfx-708.. Lots of effects and other features like a drum machine really make it a fun thing to have for around $125-$150 =]
  5. hold on! you definitely don't NEED any effects, especially costly multi effects pedals. you didn't fill out your profile, but since you've been playing for a year i assume you don't have much of a rig yet. i would STRONGLY advise you to hold off on effects and save money for some decent, powerful amplification, since you say you're on a budget. spend some more time learning the instrument also. you should know your role as a bassplayer, and when you're ready, get effects that help you do that job better. don't do it backwards and buy a showy effect first, because you'll be trying to make your technique get the most out of your effect, and not vice versa.

take it from somebody who's been a beginner. amplification should come first.
  6. freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    I can agree that amplification should come first. It's so tempting to want to get all kinds of effects and be able to create a bunch of different sounds. It's always best to master your instrument first. But if you must have effects, start cheap. But here's another argument: I waited over a year to get my first effects and after I did, I played much more and improved much more than I ever did with just a guitar and an amp. It helped keep me interested.
    Hey, whatever you feel will work as long as you are playing and improving, it doesn't matter.