1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What should I Improve?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by moten33, May 30, 2012.

1. moten33

moten33

Jan 7, 2012
    Albion, NY
    Hey all. I am a fairly new bass player. I play in a cover band that does rock/hard rock and is just starting to play around town a little bit. I bought most of my equipment used or for specific purposes but I am still unfamiliar with Ohms and stuff. I had an old Peavey 215 cab which sounded great but was impractical to move between my house and our practice space or gigs. I went with what I have now mainly for ease of movement. What do you see with what my main "rig" is that I can improve on? What would be your first purchase or change? Thanks in advance for any help.

Ampeg Portaflex 350w Head
    GK 210MBE 400W Ultra Light
    GK BLX115 200W

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ditch the BLX. GK makes good cabs except for their cheapest stuff like the Backline and Goldline series.

3. Sell the BLX115!
    Add a second 210MBE or 410MBE. BLX were just "okay" beginner cabs. :)

4. moten33

moten33

Jan 7, 2012
    Albion, NY
    Yeah, I wanted some more low end to go with the 210 and I got it off Craigslist for $100 so couldn't beat the price. What would you replace it with? A different 1x15?

5. A 115 will NOT get you more "low end" just do to speaker size. The 410MBE actually has more low end.

6. moten33

moten33

Jan 7, 2012
    Albion, NY
    Sounds like what I should be looking for. Thanks!

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    If I were looking for more low end, I wouldn't have bought either of those cabs, quite honestly. There's something called Hoffman's Iron Law, which boiled down to its essence says "Low, light, and loud...pick any two."

8. I have a GK MB212. It'll do all three, but with one other Law - the louder it gets, the more it'll walk. Dang thing almost turned almost 90 degrees around on my last gig...

9. moten33

moten33

Jan 7, 2012
    Albion, NY
    Another question...if I end up getting the 410MBE (800w, 8ohms) to go along with the 210MBE (400w, 8ohms) what would my maximun head wattage be at 4ohms?

10. 350 watts @ 4ohm load.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    If it moves while playing, then it doesn't do all three. Besides, I don't know that I consider a 212 "small" ;)

12. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club!

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    This is so true! I don't notice it so much with my MBE series cabs because I put a heavy rack case/head on top of them. But one of my son's friends got an MB212 on our recommendation. He played a high school dance and the thing just skated across the gym floor!

--Steve

13. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club!

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    Oh, and I'll just echo B-String (who knows his GK stuff); that 210MBE has lots of bottom. Grab another one of those and you've got a nice scalable rig (take less when you need less, etc.).

--Steve

14. I don't think your amp can handle a 2.6 ohm load, so running both of those cabs together could be dangerous.

15. ???? Two 8ohm cabs make a 4ohm load.

16. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

This is a slight misquote or misinterpretation. "Light" does not equal "small enclosure size". An enclosure can be light for its size. A 4x10 isn't going to be as light as a 2x10, but both can be lighter than usual with the right construction and magnets.

More accurate quotations:

“Hoffman’s Iron Law offers you any two of the following: small cabinet size, deep bass and high sensitivity."

Or, from Wikipedia: "It is typically not possible to combine high efficiency (especially at low frequencies) with compact enclosure size and adequate low frequency response. One can, for the most part, choose only two of the three parameters when designing a speaker system. So, for example, if extended low-frequency performance and small box size are important, one must accept low efficiency. This rule of thumb is sometimes called Hoffman's Iron Law (after J.A. Hoffman, the "H" in KLH).

Genz Benz handles this equation well - they have great sound and light cabs, but although their deepest cabs are large, they are light for their size.

17. YuppyPunk

YuppyPunk

Oct 21, 2011
    Get another 210MBE and stack them vertically for better dispersion. Also, it will get the sound closer to your ears which has many benefits.

18. StraightSix

StraightSix

Nov 23, 2011
    +1

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Nitpicking ;)

20. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    I just checked out the GK 210MBE 400W Ultra Light cab. If I were in your shoes, I would get rid of the 115 and purchase another 210MBE to pair with the one you already have.

This would give you a very modular 410 setup with a 4 ohm load. I have played through a number of different rig configurations, and I am now sold on modularity. You could stack those 210 cabs in a couple of different configurations that would be very beneficial to you as well as getting the sound "out there" as others have suggested.

My current rig consists of 3 112 cabs and two heads (primary and backup). I love it and load in/out is very easy. When I start gigging again, I'm gonna add one more 112 just because. :D

I hope this helps.