1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What should I look for as an alternative to a Dean Edge Fretless 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bkucera, Nov 2, 2005.

1. bkucera

bkucera

Oct 16, 2005
    Well after almost a month of runaround from my local music store (whoever their Dean rep is may be partially or completely to blame) I finally found out that these guitars are backordered for at least a month...unless I want one in transparent amber, which I don't.

So what else should I be looking at in the $400 pricerange? I want something that's fretless with a nice tight B string, low action, and no fretlines (dots on the side are good). I played a Carvin Bunny Brunell fretless 5 that had great tone, but the B string flopped around like a beached whale.

*sigh* I just ordered the Victor Wooten book too. :crying:

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I used to own a Dean Edge 5 fretless. I only sold it because I went to a 6 string fretless.

The Dean Edge 5 fretless is an outstanding instrument for the price. Very highly recommended by me. It sounds great live, records great, I never had a single problem with mine. Neck feels wonderful and is extremely stable. Good solid hardware, decent build quality. I have nothing bad to say at all whatsoever about that bass.

Sorry I can't offer alternatives, which is what you asked for, but I can tell you this. If you buy the Dean you will not regret it or have "buyer's remorse". You're looking at a seriously nice instrument there.

Rondo music sells 5 string basses also at their web site. www.rondomusic.net . Probably nothing that would interest you. My 6 string fretless is a Brice from there. It is a good solid bass and I like it, but it's not up to the quality of the Dean it replaced.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Used MTD kingston.