Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What should I look for as an alternative to a Dean Edge Fretless 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bkucera, Nov 2, 2005.

1. bkucera

bkucera

Oct 16, 2005
    Well after almost a month of runaround from my local music store (whoever their Dean rep is may be partially or completely to blame) I finally found out that these guitars are backordered for at least a month...unless I want one in transparent amber, which I don't.

So what else should I be looking at in the $400 pricerange? I want something that's fretless with a nice tight B string, low action, and no fretlines (dots on the side are good). I played a Carvin Bunny Brunell fretless 5 that had great tone, but the B string flopped around like a beached whale.

*sigh* I just ordered the Victor Wooten book too. :crying:

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I used to own a Dean Edge 5 fretless. I only sold it because I went to a 6 string fretless.

The Dean Edge 5 fretless is an outstanding instrument for the price. Very highly recommended by me. It sounds great live, records great, I never had a single problem with mine. Neck feels wonderful and is extremely stable. Good solid hardware, decent build quality. I have nothing bad to say at all whatsoever about that bass.

Sorry I can't offer alternatives, which is what you asked for, but I can tell you this. If you buy the Dean you will not regret it or have "buyer's remorse". You're looking at a seriously nice instrument there.

Rondo music sells 5 string basses also at their web site. www.rondomusic.net . Probably nothing that would interest you. My 6 string fretless is a Brice from there. It is a good solid bass and I like it, but it's not up to the quality of the Dean it replaced.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Used MTD kingston.