Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What should I look for in Buying my first bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shaunze, Apr 7, 2004.

1. shaunze

shaunze

Apr 6, 2004
    Astoria Oregon
    I don't know how to play yet, so i don't know how much of a difference trying it out first would make, but i don't know too much anyways. and what should i look for? thanks!

2. You should look for something with a neck, body, bridge, and tuners, and sometimes strings and frets. :cool:

Give us some more info! Budget, type of music you play, everything!

I have a Squier MB-4 and it rocks the Casbah! P/J Pickups, awesome finish that has no flaws, and great sound. Volume, pickup pan, and tone controls, sounds really good, awesome first bass. It has a Jazz Bass neck on it which is nice because its not to thick, not too thin. Get the Pewter Grey Metallic finish you wont be disapointed, my friends tell me its sexy all the time! Check 'em out man, they ROCK!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...4562801/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/510644/

I really hate the skull and crossbones design, really cheesy, and ugly. You can also get a five-string for $200 called the MB-5! :cool: yet again!

Link to a review I made:

http://www.bass-guitar-review.com/review-display/7599.html

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Construction flaws (bad finish, large neck gaps, feel of the bass)

If you know somebody who plays, get them to tag along and ask them questions about bass that strike your fancy. Have them demo it for you, not a store employee unless you know/trust them. At a guitar store where I live everytime I ask to play something the salesmen rave about how great the bass is even if it isn't.

The Ibanez or Squire bass packs aren't bad for the money, many, including myself, have started on one. This way you won't break your bank if you find out you aren't as decidated as you thought. Good luck man welcome to the low end.

4. shaunze

shaunze

Apr 6, 2004
    Astoria Oregon
    my budget is pretty limited, since i'm a little tike (only 14), so i'm lookin at spending about $200 for the bass alone. i listen to real punk, like ramones, sex pistols, the clash, and ska mostly, so that's what i'll be playin! i've read that a p-base would be best for stuff like that. i also heard the squires were pieces of junk, and that sometimes you find a great one. i want to get a bass that is good for beginning, but not crappy. is that enough info?

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    If the bass plays well it does matter if it says Squire.

6. shaunze

shaunze

Apr 6, 2004
    Astoria Oregon
    well, i know that, i was just sayin, since i don't really want to spend money on something that isn't good! but thanks for the info

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I would definitely try to get a bassist to go with you to help you with your purchase then. You will probably find when you play an instrument many more types of music become interesting. I used to classic rock/metal type guy; now it is hard to decide my favorite style of music.

I still love rock but I also got into some punk, jazz, funk, weird stuff, etc

Good luck man

8. the peavey bass stage pack is real good for the money... i myself started out with it, and i still enjoy playing it. i mean for around 350 you get a $230 bass a $120 amp, 4 picks, a strap, a tuner (it sucks though), and a cable. good deal aye?

9. err $150 amp, even better aye? lol

10. shaunze

shaunze

Apr 6, 2004
    Astoria Oregon
    I've heard a lot about essex basses here, and am just wondering what everyones experience is with them. i've looked at em, and they look pretty nice(especially the price!). and thanks again for all the info!

11. The MB-4 costs $180

12. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Everything I've read about the Essex basses has been extremely positive. Plus they have a version of the classic Fender P-bass for only 110, it might be a good route to go buddy. The key though is to get yourself a decent amp. A great starter amp is the Ampeg BA-115, it's a 100 watt amp with a 15" speaker. 100 watts sounds like a lot but it is NOTHING. Basses need a lot of power so be sure to buy an amp with plenty of balls to it. Good luck, and welcome to the greatest instrument man has ever known.

13. shaunze

shaunze

Apr 6, 2004
    Astoria Oregon
    ya know, i think that the amp is just a teensy weensy out of my pricerange at the moment, but i'll think about upgrading to it later. thanks for all the info, and help here is just so great!

14. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    I'd recommend an Essex P-Bass. I like them alot more than Squires, and they're cheaper. Great quality for the money; I have an Essex Jazz and I love it. Great sound and playability. Plus you can't go wrong with a P-Bass.

15. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yeh, definitely latch on to a bass player for accompaniment - even if you have to pay him (you'll save in the long run). What matters most in a first bass is to get one that's cheap and playable. You may be playing drums in 6 months and even if you stick with it you'll be looking for a better bass before long anyway so you want to buy something you know you can at least get your money back out of - which pretty much eliminates anything new. And invariably a bass that's had upgrades (like a pups or bridges) sells for the same price as one stock. I picked up off ebay an Ibanez GSR 200 with active EMGs and BTC preamp for $125 shipped. Not only are the upgrades worth that, I got a pretty killer little bass in the bargain. The Ibe sounded and played as well as a Chec Spec I had that was loaded with EMGs (and an MEC preamp in my recollection) and weighed 3 pounds less.

At least that's my take.