1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What should i look for?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by meegosh, Oct 5, 2010.

1. meegosh

meegosh

May 28, 2006
    NY
    I'm looking for a 1 x 12" bass cab and a bass head both on budget (lower $ the better) for mostly home playing and small events

I don't know much about bass heads, but i've tried (and liked) the following:
    - the lil mark bass II
    - Those aguilar ag 500 (played with aguilar 4 by 12" cab)
    - some genz benz but i don't remember their models

those aren't exactly affordable for a uni under grad, which is why i'm going to ask TB-ers if you could point me to the right direction!

Thx a bunch folks

2. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    The Gallien-Krueger - MB112 combo is 200 watts and only weighs 28lbs. You might want to give one of these a try out seeing as how they are only about $300

3. meegosh

meegosh

May 28, 2006
    NY
    i don't really want a combo amp anymore

4. You can go with a GK Neo112 ($350) and MB200 head ($250) which would be roughly the same thing for twice the price...

Mind if I ask why you don't want a combo?

5. rhopper

rhopper Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2009
    San Antonio, Texas
    Is this amp available yet?

6. GC & MF both have an ETA of the end of November.

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Ahhhh! Look, the lads done and growed up!! :D

The only thing you can do really, is go out and try everything you can plug your bass into. If you don't mind used or don't have the money for new, the online sales sites like Craigs List will give you an idea waht is available in your area. If you are going to be gigging with the amp a 4x10 or 2x15 driven by 300W and up would be a good place to start.

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

As you are here in Ontario you should at least look at carvin.com. I own three of their six string basses and a slew of their power amps and a BX1500. To Canada, you pay a little more shipping but Carvin handles all the import duties and taxes so the product lands on your doorstep with no other charges. You get a ten day in home trial and full refund if you don't like the equipment. I've never sent anything back.

9. lposavad

lposavad Supporting Member

Following BassmanPaul's lead, I suggest the Carvin BX500 head (I have one and love it) and the LS1503 PA cabinet (there are many TB threads extolling its virtues).
    Might be a touch over $1K Cdn (online it's under $700; plus shipping and exchange rate) but you will kick ass with that rig.
    BTW which school are you in? (McMaster Engineering Physics, 1978)

10. meegosh

meegosh

May 28, 2006
    NY
    i have a Yorkville xm200 Bass combo. It sounds great and i love it, however it weight in at 60lbs.

At that time i bought it used for $400 Cnd which was an awesome deal.

By the way i was looking at the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0/12t

I like how that its Portable(32 lbs only)
    Bass Head is Removable
    Sounds pretty good according to Ed's Video Here

However... Its over $1,000 bucks..
    Link to Product site here

Also if i were to try the Carvin BX500, what cab should i pair it with?

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021