1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What should I play at my college music audition?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sendaii, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Sendaii

Sendaii

Nov 15, 2009
    Newcastle, UK
    Hey guys,

I'm in sixth form at school, but my A-levels really aren't going the way that I want them to. So, I have decided to leave school and take on a music tech course at my local college's performing arts academy. However, to get in, I must first do an audition and I'm stuck for what song(s) I should play. I was thinking of Killing In The Name by Rage Against The Machine because:

1) It's a well-known song.
    2) I really enjoy playing it.
    3) It is a funky song with a lot of scope for improvising and slapping.

I'm really not sure though. Of course, I would use the clean version as the backing track because I don't think the words "**** you I won't do what you tell me" will endear me to the college. Is there anything else that you guys would recommend, or should I forget it and write my own song?

Thanks.

2. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Have they given any guidelines for the audition? Like does it have to demonstrate ability equal to a certain grade standard? It's pretty useless to start suggesting stuff unless we know the requirements.

Is it Newcastle College by the way? I've known people who have gone there, used to live with a guy who was on the popular music degree course there along with my ex-singer/guitarist.

3. Sendaii

Sendaii

Nov 15, 2009
    Newcastle, UK
  4. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    It's a nice little college from what I've seen, I think my ex-gf was on this very same course actually.

If they're saying advanced it's probably going to be something in the regions of grade 5 or 6 + equivalent (at least that would be my guess). I know for their degree course you're looking at grade 8 equivalent. But this is just speculation.

I'd give them a ring, if you haven't done already, and ask them what sort of thing they're looking for. "Advanced Ability" is a bit of a woolly definition really. Do you have a GCSE in music? By the look of it that would be a vocationally relevant subject and you might not have to audition at all.

But yeah, give them a ring or pop in on an open day. Always better to be as prepared as possible.

5. maybe work up a medley that covers all the bases.....a chordal intro to something like "summertime",the jack up the tempo with a brisk walk over some changes,bridge into some funk,slow to a bluesy interlude,and save the acrobatics and slap for the end

6. Sendaii

Sendaii

Nov 15, 2009
    Newcastle, UK
    Nope, no music GCSE. I tried ringing them, but the student services line was closed by the time I got the chance so I sent them an email. They are shut all day on Sundays, I'll try again on Monday. The next open day is on the 5th May, I'll go along then and ask a few questions.

Cheers for the advice, and you too Jim. :)