What should I play... hmmmm

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TheFrizzleFry, Apr 6, 2001.

1. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    This may sound weird, but I'm in a bit of a "bassists block" right now. I'm not learning very many new songs, I often find myself playing the same stuff over and over again. I know it's good practice and all, but I'm afraid if I don't learn stuff I might become bored of the bass. I've been trying to get into slap, but I often find stuff too hard *I'm mostly looking into Primus and RHCP* I can play Higher Ground and a few Primus songs w/slap. But I find myself repeating them over and over. What are some slap bassist that aren't fantastic, but don't suck?!
  2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    yeah got your point...
    my opinion is that:
    1.-you should repeat all you have learned (till you can do it without actually thinking of it)
    2.-learn a new riff or song each two days (use your ear! or if there´s a real bass boredom crisis...tab!...)
    3.-each week try listenig to a new bassist that you have heard here and you don´t know who he is (ask for favorite songs to anyone here)
    4.- get a multi-effect unit and play with it...play your "well known riffs" with different effects setup...
    5.- try playing all your riffs on different positions on the neck (that is very useful)
    6.-get lots of theory books... learn some riffs from them.

uhmmm that´s all i can tell you right now... Bass is a wondeful instrument... if used properly you should NEVER get bored or "Blocked".

also try learning new techniques... besides Slap
    i´m still working on WALKING BASS LINES, TAPPING, MUTED GROOVES, playing with a pick (i don´t do it very well...i really don´t want to...but it´s good to know how is done... i play with my fingers).

ok that´s my advise as an intermediate player, right now for me bass is so full of posibilities... i can´t get bored!! :)