1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what should i practice to play T-SQUARE song?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by soramidi, Jul 30, 2019.

1. soramidi

soramidi

Jul 30, 2019
    I love T-Square and Mitsuru Sutoh so much but now I'm only a beginner I can play only easy-Intermediate bass line
    My question is what should I practice some exercise or something or what song should I practice to be the path to these Jazz-Fusion or T-Square Song??

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    gebass6 likes this.
  2. Your question is too large to be answered. Get a good teacher. Practice for about 10 years.

3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

practice your ass off!

welcome to TB! :thumbsup:

4. I only use a T Square for cutting drywall so I will pass on offering an opinion.

5. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Here's how I, personally, would approach learning a song like "Sunnyside Cruise": What is the time signature? Key signature? Chord progression? Any particular scales or modes? Is the song divided into sections? How many bars/measures is each section? Does "Sunnyside Cruise" have similarities with other songs I have learned in the past? Can I write a "simplified" version of the bass line, so I can jam along with the recording? Like maybe just play the root of each chord, on the downbeat?

I also notice that the bassist on "Sunnyside Cruise" is using the "slap" technique. Do you already know how to slap, or is this technique new to you? Watch live T-Square performances on YouTube and study what he is doing with his hands. :)

gebass6 and RyanOh like this.
  6. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    Mushroo again to the rescue.
    The answer to those questions will let you play any song.

gebass6 and Mushroo like this.
  7. If I'd known it was that easy, I'd have done this years ago!

8. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    Me two, took up music when I retired. I waisted 65 years on other stuff.

9. OptimalOptimus

OptimalOptimus

Jan 4, 2019
    Canada
    what is an easy to intermediate bass line to you ?

The song is quite chill, I like the vibe. I was expecting something stupidly difficult to play.

Spin Doctor likes this.
  10. Sounds like Spyrogyra for the modern age...

gebass6 likes this.