1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What should I put in the hole?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jbybj, Jun 3, 2012.

1. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Picked up a used Hohner B Bass V years ago, had it defretted to address some neck twist. The 16mm spacing at the bridge, and a 1.75" nut proved to be too cramped for me. Sold it to a friend, who just traded it back to me for an EBS Bass iQ. Still not wild about the string spacing, so I decided to convert it to 4 string. I had a Badass II laying around.
    file-35.jpg

Cut a new nut out of some purpleheart scraps.

file-32.jpg

Now I just need to figure out what to do with the hole left by the 5th tuner.

file-31.jpg

Any suggestions?

BTW, the conversion achieved the desired results, it is now easy for me to play.

file-34.jpg

JBY

2. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    What is the wire running down the side of the head stock?

3. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    LED side dots, probably.

4. I would just shave the headstock down farther and total cut the hole off, maybe make it look similar to a gibson grabber headstock.

5. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009

Hadn't thought of that, but yeah, lots of meat left if you decided to go this route...

Good Luck!

6. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    Yeah definitely cut it off

7. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

An eyeball.

8. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Some sort of plug., Perhaps with one of them fake jewel stone inlay like some control knobs have. Wood dowell plug with some sort of cap for front side. Cap could be anything from actual or fake gemstone, or even just black. Or clear coated pic of moon in color. I dunno, something like that. Would be niuce to keep the headstock logo end.

9. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    I don't see how you'd get a Gibson Grabber shape, but if you cut straight through the center of the hole and nicely sand and finish it I think it'd look WAY better than just filling the hole.

So you'd like a soft M shaped tip, The less curve of the hole you leave the less dramatic it'll look.

10. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    Or cut straight below the hole and straight above it then join the tip to the headstock and re-paint it and re clear it after blending the sides as this would leave a bit of a difference in the thickness where the two ends meet.

11. I just think if you dont reduce it , the headstock will look like a diving board, to much extra wood hanging off and the proportions will look off.

12. omnimutant

omnimutant

Dec 14, 2009
    Phoenix
    Leave the hole and hang it on a hook. Or hang some trinkets off of it?

13. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    An LED cover and light, preferably purple like on some old Fender amps!

14. arsie

arsie

Jan 19, 2011
    Singapore
    A video camera.

15. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    A compass so you never forget which way to face when your playing. You know just in case.

16. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    How a bout a motorcycle mirror, You can constantly monitor your bass face ANYWHERE.

17. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    A flame cannon. Duh.

18. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Get a clamp on tuner - remove the clamp and figure out a way to mount it in the hole.

78659.jpg
    ^^^ for illustrative purposes only,

they make a lot of different sizes, shapes and styles of tuners.
    I'm sure that there is one that would look pretty cool.

19. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    FretFx. That is the wire between the battery pack on the back of the headstock, and the LED array that runs down the neck.

20. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I have some decorative marbles, but they are too big. I like the idea of clearcoat over a picture. That got me to thinking of maybe something embedded in epoxy, like a troll doll, or a honeybee.

I thought about cutting it down, but for now, I like the idea that it could always be returned to a 5 string. I have saved the bridge and the tuner. All it would need is a new nut, and to redrill the holes I filled for the old bridge. I will never want to return it to 5 strings, but I may not own it forever.........