Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What should I replace my Warwick Preamp with?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ZiggaDigga, Apr 12, 2005.

1. ZiggaDigga

ZiggaDigga

Dec 3, 2004
    DFW
    So I had a gig last weekend, go to switch my bass and my Warwick doesn't make a sound, made me sad...
    It still works with the preamp bypassed and the jack had been acting a little flaky, so it may just be that the jack needs to be replaced, maybe the power switch in the jack got "jacked". My tech is currently out on tour with another artist and won't be back till the end of the month and I'm not the type to jack with this stuff myslef.

But I want to be prepared if the preamp itself is toast.

Here is a little info on the bass, it is basicly a modified FNA Jazzman, single J pickup and a big humbucker, 2 band tone controls and a pan pot for the pickups. Ash back, Bubinga top, Ovangkol neck with a Maple fingerboard.

So, what type of preamp would ya'll suggest? Can i get a replacment MEC from Warwick? And what price ranges am I looking at?

TIA for any advice...

2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    If your jack has been acting suspect, chances are that your problem is isolated there. Could be a cracked solder joint on the battery pin, or something else this simple and inexpensive.

Unless you've done something really stoopid - like connect the preamp to 110v/220v ac - I doubt that this would be preamp related.

R

3. ZiggaDigga

ZiggaDigga

Dec 3, 2004
    DFW
    I did poke around in there and didn't see any broken solder joints, but I can't see them all with out taking stuff apart and I don't like to muck around too much with my higher end basses, I leave that to my tech.

I hope that it's just the jack, but I want to be prepared for the worst...

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I'd say it's unlikely you'll need a new preamp but MEC still makes them to my knowledge and the difference between EMG, Bart, and Aggie's is splitting hairs in terms of tone. I had an MEC but I don't recall installing it and I had a Chec Spec with an MEC and EMG's and it sounded like an Ibanez I had with EMGs and a BTC.

At any rate, no preparedness involved cause you can't do anything till you know what the problem is and your tech will probably have on hand whatevers needed to resolve the problem.

Oh yeh, the obvious, replace the battery first - and often the battery clip leads break, especially those discusting little grey square hard fiber ones.

5. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    +10!!

I forgot to mention this. I have several high $$$ basses that have had power supply issues that cause the preamp to play possum. Each and every single time the issue was resolved by repairing the solder joints on the battery box. A lot of luthiers who utilize those plastic flip-out battery boxes don't add cavity space for the lead wires. This causes them to compress each time the battery box is put through an open/close cycle. After a couple of battery changes an intermittent power problem will usually crop up.

I resolve this issue by removing the battery box and tooling out a relief area behind the battery box where the leads are connected. A quick resolder and all is well. :hyper:

R

6. ZiggaDigga

ZiggaDigga

Dec 3, 2004
    DFW
    Well, I did switch out the battery and checked the leads, everything is in order in that regard...

7. yea, ive put my preamps through a lot and they still work amazingly well. if you are brave enough, take the jack out of your guitar and resolder all of the terminals. it may be the stereo jack is bent. that happened to one of my basses, so then it didnt ground the battery, so the battery didnt turn on to turn on the preamp, and the bass made no sound. thats what i get for not using switchcraft jacks. from now on thats all i use. the terminal that grounds the battery is the one that touches this upper part of the shaft of the instrument cable plug ( should be about a third of the way around the jack from the hot (tip) connector. just make sure that gets grounded and your battery will turn on, and so should your preamp

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

as for the jack (which are a common source of problems), you should be able to use a pair of needle nose (or tweezers for that matter) and pull snuggly on the wires to the jack. If the wire doesn't pull away it's probably good enough to get some kind of response.

With the traditional Fender type jacks you can remove the nut and pull the jack back into the cavity and get a good look at it. Those Ibanez style torpedo looking flush-mount jacks are a pain and different story. Sometimes the terminals will loosen internally on those torpedo jacks so the wire connection will be solid but still have a problem. Just cause the terminal has loosened doesn't mean there's a problem though, I've got one that has been floating for a long time and works fine.