What should I stick in my holes?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks

I run my pickups straight to the pickup switch and then to the output jack - no volume, no tone, no nothing. So now I've got two great big holes in my bass from where the knobs used to be. I'm looking for ideas for what to stick in there to block them off. Any creative ideas?
  2. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    More switched, because they just look cool, they don't have to do anything.
  3. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    You could have just left the pots/knobs in there, without them being connected to anything. :)

I'm curious... Why did you get rid of them?
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Momentary kill switch, and the other one should have a Talent Control. I hear they're hard to find, but when you get one, you'll always keep turning it up. OR, take a small effects pedal, like a danelectro, and stick it in there.
  5. BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    Put the pots back in without hooking them up. It would make a great psych study. You could play with the soundman's mind. :)
  6. Put in a 2 way toggle. When flipped one way, it makes you play in reverse. A very cool effect.

Seriously: black knobs on dummy pots some neat little black lights.
  7. I'd say dummy pots would be a good choice, or maybe 2 more switches. Anything that can look real and doesn't have to do anything.
  8. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    As others suggested, you could just install non-working pots or you could do what I've done on a few jobs, which is install black plastic hole Plugs. You can get them at Lowes in the fastener area and they come in various sizes to plug various hole diameters. You'll probably need the 3/8" model. I'll attach a picture. They actually look pretty good (especially on black basses).
  9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    A couple of fake eyes from the taxidermist!
  10. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That would rock!
  11. Two more swicthes would be cool.

Cause people's initiall reaction your bass would be.

"Fretless stein, with a whammy, with only switches?"
  12. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

two fake sliver knobs, i dont mean fake silver, i mean fake knobs which are silver colored. (or chrome)
  13. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    LOL!!! :D :D :D
    I would look at the faces that people make upon seeing it! :D

How's about sticking flowers in there? :D
    "make love not... erm... am I supposed not to say that according to forum rules? :meh: :p
  14. K_Duck

Jul 7, 2004
    I'd think a volume kill switch would come in handy. Or LED(s)? :bag:
  15. a steel ring going through both holes. you'd have a pierced bass, how punk rock is that?
  16. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Now THAT is a great idea! I just may do that. Failing that, the "talent" and "reverse" switches seem like great ideas too... :D
  17. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I have to say, that idea appeals to me :oops:
  18. AWESOME!!!! Make 'em different colors and maybe animal eye like a tiger or other big cat.
  19. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

yah! LEDs!!! that would insane. and make them light up when u play notes just like the Fender Rumble amps do!