Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What should I use with my Super Redhead?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by waxcomb, Oct 14, 2003.

1. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Hi, I know there are similar threads, but I need less general info. I have a super Redhead and it is perfect for rehearsal, but it gets lost on stage. I and looking at the SWR son of Bertha 1x15 and the Goliath 2x10. The 15 and 2x10 sound round and a tad muddy. Two 2x10's sound dark and cut through. I'm not sure what to do! I want to hear on stage but I also want it to be able to stand alone without a PA if I need. I like these cabinets because of the size and weight. I also have seen the SWR bass monitor 12 and that looks nice and light and could help with stage volume (my greater need). Anyone tried any of these combos? :meh:

2. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Oh yeah, I play classic rock in a five piece on a Gibson Grabber and sometimes a Steinberger Spirit. I want bottom but not mud. I play fingerstyle.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Eden D-210XLT or XST.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Get your bandmates to turn down.

Try different EQ settings with more midrange.

Set up the amp so it's closer to your head (I assume you're already using the front cover as a tilt stand).

A 350 watt amp "getting lost" on stage is pretty funny :rolleyes:

5. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    when I played for one of the military bands I was supplied with Redheads and had the same problem. Some rooms it sounded great but most of the time I could not get the definition to cut through no matter what the EQ setting. My suggestion, sell it and get a good solid state amp. I personally like the new ThunderFunk, an updated design of the old AMP BH420 and Gibson GB440. One of these combined with a good cab will KICK!! Yet it still has a very warm tone. I like the tone of it better than my $2300 Walter Woods. You can get a new ThunderFunk for $549 and it's worth every penny. Combine it a good 2x10" cab and you'll have no more problems.

www.thunderfunk.com

6. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
  7. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I don't think it's surprising at all that a combo amp equipped with 2x10 and a tweeter would be inadequate for a classic rock band. This is a *rock* band, after all!

I play with a classic rock band and my SWR SM-900 and 8x10 speaker array gets *fully* utilized. In a different full band project I work with, a redhead alone would be more than adequate. It's an apples and oranges situation... is the classic rock band obnoxiously loud? Yes. Am I going to get four other "rock" guys to play to the level of a single 2x10t bass cab for more than five minutes? No way. It is what it is, plain and simple.

The increased mids suggestion may be helpful -- SWR does make it easy and convenient to remove lots of mids from your sound... ;)

:)

8. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I have my amp on a stand so it is angled up to my ears. We practice in a small loft space so any great increase of volume gets realy boomy. We don't play loud when we practice, we even turned down last night because we noticed we were trying to compete with the PA. Our drummer even practices with taped dowel sticks to keep his volume down. What I am looking for is more balls without getting boomy and washing out everyone else, I want to feel the bass a little more. I did give some more mids last night and it did help cut through, maybe I need to sit down and really dial in the EQ. On stage, our volumes are pretty low and we put everything through the PA. It just seems that my sound disappears when I'm not directly in front of my amp. I have started putting myself through the monitors and that has helped.

9. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Oh yeah, thanks for your advice. Talkbass keeps on being a great resource for me. By the way, does anyone have a Redhead front cover they want to sell? I didn't get one on my used amp and I want to protect it in teansit.

10. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    Everything you mentioned you want out of you amp the Gramma Pad will do!!! The best $60 you can spend!!!!:bassist:

11. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Should I put just the amp on the Gramma pad or can I put my stand on it too? Will there be a difference in sound between the two options?

12. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    Amp only. Leave the stand at home. You'll be AMAZED at the difference.

13. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    A humorous answer would be use a bass and your fingers. Really though try turning it on it's side. 2x10s sound better this way or get another 2x10 and turn it on it's side on top. I've used Goliath Jr.s for years and they project and sound quite clear this way. The Amp is also reproducing what it's getting. Try a different bass. Also limit your use of EQ.(ok I mean no EQ. on amp try it flat and let your fingers make the tone.

14. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    I used to own a redhead (not super) and i had the same issues in my rock band. I went and bought a SWR WM 15 cab and that helped with volume somewhat, but i don't think it maintained teh sweet redhead tone.

I have since sold the amp. It's really not a rock and roll amp IMO. We were really loud and wound up with an ampeg 6x10 and Mesa 400+.

If I were you - I would buy an Avatar 2x12 and see how that works. I think the 350 watt rating will increase once you use another cabinet. This may be a perfect, low cost, great sounding rig.

Make sure to tell us how this turns out...erik

15. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i think another cab would solve your problem
    just find out if the internal cab is 8 ohms or 4 ohms and get a cabinet with the same impedence so they are the same volume (roughly) - swr amps can run into 2 ohms
    if ya wanna keep your definition you'd probably be happy with a 210 extension cab, probably an swr goliath jr

or course when i read the thread title i thought "whatever she'll let you use" ;) :D

16. ostrzoskrzydly

ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    try putting it at a higher level, like on a chair or something

17. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I finally got my SOB and I can't wait to hook it up together. Winston is a cool TB'er and was a real pro. Now it's GAS over a Baby Blue...