What should I wear!?!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Ethon, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    I have a huge gig up at our High School friday (we are a rock band competing in a Battle of the Bands) and I have NO clue what to wear!!!!! :bawl:

Anyone have any ideas?
    I have long hair if that helps any =P
  2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Wear a **** sock.
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Bright yellow gloves, pink short shorts, and an up with life T-shirt.
  4. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Wear something you're comfortable with (ie. probably not Matt's suggestion :D ).

What's the overall image you want to convey?

5. Shuller

Feb 2, 2003
    moscow, russia
    If you wanna be in the centre of attention, wear a white shirt(if playing in a club) or black (if outside).
    Oh and don't forget to play decent too.
  6. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Well, yes, playing well is gonna help, but the main thing is what you wear. Make sure you look D4 b0mB, if you wanna win the contest.

Unbridled burst of sarcasm over. You will now be returned to your scheduled thread...
  7. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Pants, always wear pants. Unless you're being paid not to wear them. And if that's the case then make sure you remember to take off the black socks
  8. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Wear a shirt that says "I'M WITH STUPID ->"

The best thing about it is that you now have the option of standing beside either your lead guitarist, singer, or drummer.

Wear a Talkbass shirt! :D
  9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Can never go wrong with black jeans, black shoes, and a black "bowling-type" button-up shirt.
  10. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Something real loud and colorful. It will either draw attention to you or repulse people. Either way you get a reaction and you will be remembered. Maybe Bright yellow and green plaid pants, with a red and orange Hawaiian shirt, and some Blue Suede shoes. Oh, and a cool hat. Like a "Cat in the Hat" or wizard's cap or something. Some bawdy jewelry is cool too and slashy stuff too (worked for Bootsy Collins). Going out in public like that shows you got balls.:bassist:

Just make sure your image matches your music.
  11. babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    Just wear what you'd normally wear that day.

...or wear fishnet stockings and sing about how much you hate your dad.

12. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    don't listen to them ..

wear the same clothe as Kenny in South Park ...

An Orange coat ... with gloves ...
  13. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'm not too keen on that idea - if you just loaf on stage in whatever you normally wear, it can look a bit sloppy (all depending of course on what you normally wear!) - you're putting on a show, after all.

14. Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    I just wear what I am wearing that day most of the time, a t shirt and jeans. Of course I'm in a punk band so nobody is expecting us to be wearing suits or nice clothes like a jazz band or some other sophisticated band. Wear whatever you feel like. Do you want to stand out? Wear bright clothes, a tux, or StupidMatts suggestion. Just wake me up before you go-go if you do that one. What's the rest of your band wearing? Do you want to be the center of attention or just blend in. Or you could all wear really loud clothes.
  15. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Wear what my dad's friend Don wore back in the day.

Nice slacks, suit jacket, scuffed Doc Martens, and a t-shirt with an anarchy A on it. It helps if you show up with the jacket closed so the A is hidden and your hair neatly tied back.
  16. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    first of all, wear something that you always wear, like a t-shirt and jeans.

i always wear black dickies pants, my black and orange pumas, and whatever shirt i am wearing that day. ive only woirn all black once.

usually my shirt has color to it, i like the finer things in life and i show it with my clothes.

and make sure it fits your bands music.
  17. I play in both a rock band and a jazz band; usually on the same night (high school gigs usually have you double booked) so I'm always wearing either a black shirt or a white shirt (of Roger David or Ed Harry origin), and my black microfibres. Beware though, that if you're playing in microfibres that you wear the colour underwear of your trousers (general point for everybody there.) Also a tie helps, especially for jazz, but it also depends on your playing conditions. If you're playing under heavy lighting, then maybe a tie isn't such a good idea because it's harder to breathe with and you tend to heat up if the air can't escape from under your shirt.

For rock band stuff, then it does depend on your style. Metal? then go for something grungy. There's a lame-o band at our school who wear the formal uniform with their shirts out and their ties askew, which looks terrible but fits their punk-playing style.

I'm always wearing shirts, ties and jackets to my gigs, even if they're being playing in the middle of the quadrangle. You could say it's a gimick, but hey, that's what I'm comfortable in.

18. This is serious, for those of you who will have doubts.

Hair: Take the hand lotion to the hair, part it way on one side and have it fall in your face, it'll probably stay, and if not, it'll look cool anyways.

Shirt: tightest thing you can find in a cool/unusual fabric (that is if you aren't concerned about weight; those who are larger are stuck with the choices such as hawiian/bowling shirts). Check Fields' designer section, i reccommend Kenneth Cole, Boss (if you can find it on sale), and the unknown brand except by a select cool few: "4YOU Scandinavia". Anything tight by one of them will rock the show.

Belt: Colorful, non-leather, and if you can tuck one side of the front of the shirt (if it's a button down) in the belt, but not in the pants, so it hangs cool, that's awesome.

Pants: either really tight, or really baggy, but not jeans, unless they're really exreme like Diesel or Guess orsomething.

Shoes: Depends on pants and belt. Match the pants and belt. Don't wear old gym shoes or nice dress shoes or black boots.

A jacket can be cool, but make sure its not a bomber style jacket. and don't roll up the sleeves; if you can't play take it off. (throwing an old/useless jacket into the crowd at the end of a good show can be cool)

Overall: stay away from white, make sure you shave, tweeze those eyebrows, smell nice, and above all, SMILE.

Oh, and make sure your bandmates look good too...
    If they look lame, so do you.
  19. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    So, Ethon, Friday's been and gone and we all want to know "What did you wear???" ;)