What should my next bass be?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayingfool, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Ok, Im looking for a new bass. Here's some things i would like.

1. 5 strings
    2. Have a good wide neck. (I usually play 6's)
    3. Good with slapping and popping while good with hard rock
    4. Under $1000 bucks

If you can help me out and give me some suggestions that would be cool. Thanks for your time, and suggestions.
  2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
  3. Hey, I was gonna start a thread on this subject. :bawl:

Bassplayingfool, I'm looking for a nice five string for around $1,000 too.
    One bass that's starting to appeal to me is a Fender Roscoe Beck 5. I've never played one, but most RB5 owners here love them, and the reviews at Harmony-Central are mostly good. http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data4/Fender/Roscoe-Beck-Signature-5-String-01.html

For some strange reason, I really want to buy a Fender this time around.

Good luck in your search.

P.S. I'll also second kirbywrx's suggestion of the Ibanez BTB. They're very good all around basses with a killer B string. ;)
  4. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    What about that 5-String Yamaha RBX775 that's on sale for $299.00 from $1000.00 that everyone is raving about?

5. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    The Roscoe Beck is a good choice, its slapping sound isn't exactly Marcus-like, kinda depper and mellower, a KSD might suit your needs better. Maple on Ash provides the bright slap sound, very wide neck and under 1k new, the RB5 you'd probably'll have to buy used to get it under 1k.
  6. Yeah, I know what you mean, BoiNtC. Musiciansfriend has them for $1,289, usually, but they had one there for $986.00 yesterday; it was a scratch & dent. Someone must have bought it.

Temptation: http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0196500

Mike :cool:

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    How about a Fender Marcus Miller sig 5 string? I would love one of those!
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Spector Rebop 5 or NS2000.
  9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Used Peavey Cirrus 5
  10. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn 5 string.
  11. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Used Stingray 5?
  12. I was really looking into Stingray's, overall what do ya think of them if you've got one?
  13. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    There isn't an Ernie Ball bass I don't like. The Stingray 5 is possibly the greatest, most versatile 5 string bass out there IMO. They're good for slap, jazz, funk, rock, and even worship. The neck is fat, so that might be something to get used to but all and all it's a helluva bass. Go try one.