1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What should my next bass be?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nhaight, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Heres what Im looking for:
    4-String
    Low Action
    $650 or less
    Lite-weight Slim Body
    Exclusively Drop A/B/C
    w/ factory nut that can handle large gauge strings

Ill be playing:
    -Staind
    -Chevelle
    -Breaking Benjamin
    -Crossfade
    -Deftones
    -Evans Blue
    -Slipknot
    -Tool
    -Three Days Grace
    -Killswitch Engage
    -Demon Hunter
    and Cold... :bassist:

2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Do you mean;
    "I'll be dropping the 'A' to both 'B' and 'C'."
    OR
    "Instead of 'EADG' I'll be tuned to 'ABC'."

I'm guessing you mean the former, but I want to be sure. Y'know, syntax and all that.

3. Look for an Ibanez SR500.

4. mas502arc

mas502arc

May 14, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Fender Aerodyne Jazz?

5. In all honesty, if you're going to play in such low tunings, I would suggest getting a 5 string bass.

6. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I was going to suggest the same thing, once the OP replied to my question. So, I'll assume it's the A-string he wants to drop up-and-down. But, given how much of it fits his criteria, I'll second the motion.

It's much lighter than a regular Jazz bass. A lot of that comes from the carved-top body and possibly the tighter neck radius, but don't quote me on that. But when you're dealing with an ounce here and there, every little bit counts. Mine comes in at almost exactly 8.5 pounds. I've seen some people install Ultralight tuners to drop even more weight.

And speaking of tuners, the Hipshot BT10 is a perfect match for mine. I didn't have to add any new holes onto the back of the headstock. It just dropped right in!

As far as cost goes, they're about $800 brand new, but I've seen plenty go for somewhere around $500 used, even ones with some small mods (tuners, pickups, etc…).

As for the nut, you might need to widen the slots or even install a new one. I've never tried to use anything heavier than a 105 on mine. However, the synthetic bone seems to be pretty sturdy.

On the topic of "what you're playing", it's capable of a nice variety of sounds. It's got a P/J configuration, and when coupled with the right strings, can produce a wide range of tones.

Oh, and I must always mention this, it's sexy as Hell!

Last year, with copper-plated D'Addario Reds…
    FAJB.

…and this year, sporting DR Black Beauties.
    FenderAerodyneBlackBeauties_zps974f8653.

7. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    This: image_zpsa1e84037.

8. Get an ibanez pgb1. It comes tuned and setup for "B" tuning. So you shouldn't have to file the nut or anything and sound wise considering all the bassists of the bands you listed use humbuckers or soapbar pickups it'll cover the tones you like. All the higher atk style basses ibanez makes are good. They are basically a Japanese version of an ernie ball stingray for a much better price.

One thing I will say though is Id use different strings for A,B, and C. I like a 120 or 125 for c, a 130 or 135 for B and a 140 or 145 for A. Tuning a 135 up to C can put a lot of stress on the neck but at the same time tuning a 120 down to A is really floppy.

Shame you want a 4. I tune my 7 g#beadgc, you could tune a 5 string so the 4 normal strings were in C and tune the extra string to A and have strings to get the "right" tensions. Alternate tunings can be used with any bass, not just 4 strings.