What should my third bass be?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JazzV, Mar 27, 2002.

1. JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    No baseball puns please...

Currently I have a MIM Fender/Squier series P-bass from '94 and a MIM Deluxe Active Jazz V. I'm looking for another 5, but I'm looking for something a step up (though not a huge step) from the Jazz, but with the heavier bottom end of the P. I don't really want to go with Fender this time, though, since I'd really like to find a 24-fret fretboard. I'm looking at between $750-1000 US (preferably on the lower end of that). I've thought about e-Bay, but by the time I pay shipping on a victorious bid, I've gotten pretty close to a store price, and I still haven't played the thing. The problem is that where I live, there's about five music stores that sell basses, but it seems to be all about Fenders, Peaveys, Ibanez', and Samick-type basses. I have fairly large hands, and I find a 5er more comfortable than a 4. Also, I play in a church band, which I often need the low D and Eb. Any advice on my alternatives? Thanks. BTW, I love my JazzV, but I just need some different tonal possibilities. My P bass is all but unplayable, as I'm at the end of the truss rod, and I still can't get good action on it. A new neck would definitely help, since the old one has some minor warpage.
  2. Hmmmm...not up on all the current suggested retail prices etc. but: Yamaha,MTD,Ibanez,Peavey,DP Custom,....I know you mentioned some of these in your thread but at the risk of being redundant.:p
    If you can,go for used.There are some great deals/steals out there!
  3. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Consider a Lakland Skyline, and it's below the bottom of your budget.
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    or - if you want versatility...

get a new neck for the P (warmoth, i'd recommend maybe maple w/maple board or maple/ebony)

get a J retro deluxe for the jazz

those should take care of just about any tone you'd want - aside from the 24 fret deal.
  5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I agree. The Lakland Skyline is the best bass you can get for under $1000.
  6. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I say try to find a deal on a Cirrus 5, but I don't know how much those go for where you are. Otherwise, go with the Lakland mentioned above or find something used.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Lakland Skyline is good or, since you're looking for that P sound, how about a slightly used Stingray 5?
  8. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    It's slightly above your high limit, but there's a guy posting a Hanewinckel 5 on Bassgear. My sample size of one says these basses are winners. Very easy to play, great sounding, and fairly wide spacing (you say you have big hands). There's always room for dealin'.

9. I'll second the idea about the Cirrus 5. Pick a wood combination and I'll bet you can get some good lows. However, the Lakland sounds intriguing too. Good luck.
  10. JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    Thanks for all your help...First off, I'll say that the P-bass is getting the Warmoth treatment of a new neck and bridge. Secondly, it'll become the third bass, as I'm the proud owner of a new Lakland Skyline 55-02. I got a price I couldn't ignore, so I snapped it up. It seems to be very versatile, and has a very full B-string. I compared it to an American Fender Jazz V in the shop, and the Lakland just flat out destroyed it. Thanks a bunch, all.
  11. Sounds like a good choice! Be sure to let us know how everything works out once you get the P modified and when you've put the Lakland through all the tests. Cheers!
  12. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    I third (?) the Lakland Skyline. really quality for so little dough.

But for a little more dough, i'd be more partial to a 5 string Stingray or even a 4 string Stingray. If you want something with a slimmer neck like your jazz, then check out the Sterling, the stingray's "jazzier" bro. not is thinner and smaller like a jazz, while the Stingray's got a wider neck like the pbass. you can find these used anywhere.
  13. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Plus, it houses J+MM -pups, which would tonally take you where you want to go, and make your arsenal more versatile.
  14. JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    I'm really enjoying the Lakland. I'm finding it has much the same growly quality as the Jazz, though the Jazz has a slightly darker quality to the sound. With the switchable split coil MM pickup and the Jazz pickup, it's like having a 3-pickup bass. And that B-string sounds no different from the others, just lower. Once I get the P-bass done, I'll post a photo of the group.

Thanks again.