1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What should we use for vocals?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ethon, Apr 5, 2003.

  1. Ethon


    Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    Right now we just use a guitar amp and a xlr mic with a 1/4 adapter...but it doesnt sound that great/loud....any suggestions?
  2. You need a PA system, obviously, but what would this be for? Do you need a practice-only PA, or a gig-capable one?

    If it's the former, Carvin, Peavey, and Yamaha all sell affordable 4- or 6-channel powered mixers (fine for vox-only practice PAs), and a couple of 1x10+tweeter PA cabinets will do the job.
  3. If you could find about $800 or less check out a Mackie 808M powered mixer and find a pair of Peavey SP2Gs. Those speakers will blow you away and you can find a pair used normally around $600. Also for vocal mics go with SM58s you won't be sorry.
  4. Ethon


    Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    we just need something for practice for now really
  5. Bass and keyboard amps will often do the job for practice. Guitar amps... well, that's the problem.
  6. BillyB_from_LZ

    BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

    Sep 7, 2000
    Is the mic a high impedance (thousands of ohms) or low impedance (200 or 600 ohms)? Also, is the adapter an impedance transformer or just an adapter (it would be marked on it somewhere)?

    If you're trying to send a low impedance mic signal into a high impedance guitar amp input, that could be the loudness problem.

    As Davy0 wrote, a keyboard or bass amp would work better...but look into the impedance thing too.
  7. Ethon


    Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    Its a cheapo Audio Technica 450D...not sure what the impedance is...

    Its just an adapter...not a transformer