What side of the stage do you like?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Funkster, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Hi all! The only reason why I'm asking this is, We played on Friday night, now mind you that I always get stuck to my drummers right side where his ride cymbal and floor tom is,
    Well Friday there wasn't enough room for the key's and guitar on that side so I was put over on our drummers left with the Hi-Hats, I'm not sure if it's me or not but it seemed like me & the drummer had a better connection with me on his hat side. We made eye contact more we jammed more it was just cool being on that side for once.
    What side do you all prefer to be on and does it make a difference?

Apr 15, 2002
    i prefer to be on stage i dont care where
  3. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I try to stand 3ft from the hi hat
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Drummers left. Much easier to make eye contact and I can also see what his hands are doing, if it gets too loud for me to hear it.
  5. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    left for me too!
  6. I prefer the drummer's right. His various trash percussion spills out to his left side.
  7. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I haven´t really thought about it, but I think I´m usually on the left side..
  8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    The high hat side. It allows me to feel, as well as see the pulse, and allows eye contact with the drummer.
  9. Stage right is where I usually end up. I don't care.... I do not look at the drummer very often so it does not really matter. I am one of the front men so my first role is contact with the audience.

10. JoeyRamone9

JoeyRamone9 disabled

Mar 30, 2002
    Im just happy to be up there
  11. It depends on the stage, but usually I prefer hi-hat side. I hate getting put in a corner, though--then people bitch about excessive low end.
  12. Interesting, as I've never given this much thought before. My last band, I was on the high-hat side. With my new band, I'm on the other side. When I think about it now, I was able to get a better feel for the flow of the song on the high-hat side.
  13. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Hi hat side most of the time, it depends on the layout of the stage. The show we played last Saturday was on a stage that was narrow but deep, and since I sing harmony vocals, I wound up being up front with the singer and lead guitarist, while the rytyhm guitarist stood back by the drummer.
  14. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hi-hat side-
    That's exactly where the bassist is supposed to be!
  15. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    For some reason, I always seemed to end up to the right of the lead singer (just to the right of the drummer's ride cymbal and floor tom). I didn't always like it -- it always seemed to be the side nearest the men's room, near the rear exit, or near the opening in the wall that seperated the two barrooms. The latter really sucked!
  16. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Right. I never look at my drummer when I'm performing, so eye contact doesn't matter. I just usually end up on the right, go figure.
  17. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Drummer's left, I just like that spot, and it looks cool cuz I'm left-handed, both headstocks pointing in toward the drummer, just a little extra spice thing I guess.
  18. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Looks like Drummers Left is the consensus!
    I think it makes a difference, Now I'm gonna have to fight for that side of the stage!!!
    I'm always the first one at gig's anyway;)
  19. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Sometimes I´m on the left, sometimes right. But I prefer to be on the drummers left side (hi-hat).
  20. Hmmm...
    I never really gave this much thought.

In the school auditorium I usually end up stage right, that is the floor tom side of the drummer, and for any and all venues (that we've played so far, anyway) I'm always on the hi hat side. That includes the school courtyard for in-school outdoor gigs and miscellaneous other gigs like school christmas balls and what not.

Hmm...I'll have to pay more attention next time, since in rehearsals I'm always directly in front of the drummer so I'm looking at him through all the cumbals et al. :D