1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What size Allen Wrench for Saddle on MIM Jazz?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by agreatheight, Jun 20, 2007.

1. So that's the question, what size Allen Wrench (hex wrench) do I need to adjust the saddles on MIM Jazz? None of the wrenches I have fit, lol.

Thanks in advance!

2. Went and bought a set, so I got one that works.

Thanks.

3. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    For anyone else wondering, I'm pretty much sure it's 1.5mm. My Squier uses a 1.5mm anyway, which I think is the size for all vintage-style Fender bass bridges.

4. +1....95% of all Fender and Fender-style bridges use 1.5mm...
    Bad Asses use 1.5mm, too

my Yamaha uses a 1.5mm...my cheap chinese P-bass copy uses a 1.5mm...

it's a very common size for bridge saddles....

5. There are two types of allen keys.
    One uses the metric system(mm,cm...) and the other imperial(inches, feet....)
    Fender mostly uses imperial.

Lownote38 likes this.
  6. you could be right

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0041605000

says MIM bass uses a 1/16" (imperial) key while most MIM guitars use a 1.5mm (metric)

HOWEVER, 1/16" = 1.5875mm....therefore, a 1.5mm metric WILL work on a 1/16" bridge...

7. MIMJBASS

MIMJBASS

Feb 18, 2008
    CT
    Hi,

I'm not a bass player, I'm a sax player, but I have a MIM Fender Jazz Bass 5-String that I picked up for writing songs and recording at home.

I couldn't find an Allen wrench that would fit so I went and bought a new, non-metric, set.

I found that the 1/16" Allen wrench does not fit in the bridge adjusters. It's a little too big. The next smallest size I have is too small, so I'm going to have to go pick up a metric set and hope the 1.5mm will do the trick. The Fender site posted above says 1/16" fits MOST MIM basses. I guess I have one of the other kind.

At least when I'm all done I'll have two nice sets of wrenches. :rolleyes:

8. ducatiman

ducatiman

Oct 3, 2006
    new yawk
    absolutely 1.5 mm.

9. dbcandle

dbcandle

Jan 30, 2008
    For my 2007 MIM Jazz, I use the 1/16" for the saddles. This matches the allen wrenches and descriptions at the link above from PilbaraBass.

10. Just to chime in on this zombie thread...my 1995 MIM jazz takes a 1/16". The 1.5 mm is just a hair too small. It works on the looser saddle screws but I have a couple that stick and they need the absolute correct size.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021