1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What size Allen Wrench?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by matante, Feb 22, 2013.

1. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but I haven't done this before and I can't find the answer anywhere. I'd like to adjust the truss rod on a Squier short-scale Jaguar bass and I cannot find the info on what size Allen wrench is required for this. Is there a standard size or am I supposed to contact Fender for this?

2. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    if it is the same as the VM Jazz it is 4mm ... if in doubt take it to the local hardware store and fit one to be safe .. but I would start with 4mm ... make sure it is a nice tight fit before you turn and make sure you have a decent understanding of what you are doing if not familiar with it before just cranking ...:)

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    it's gonna be metric, either 4mm or 5mm.

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

You could try a music store that sells Squier. Every new bass has one in the box; one for the bridge too (mine did, i made him open a new boxed one so i could try them both) I bet stores have piles of them sitting in drawers. Tell them you want the wrench that was included from the factory.

5. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to try the guitar shop first.

6. abemo

abemo

Feb 27, 2012
    Arvada, co
    Easiest way to go is just buy a metric allen set, and pull out the 2-3 you'll use for setups (one for truss, one for saddle height, some bridges use another to lock in intonation, etc)

7. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I bought a 4mm and a 5mm at the auto parts store. Turned out to be the 4mm. Thanks to everyone.