What size cab do I need ? (mesa boogie content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by M4verick, Nov 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. M4verick

M4verick

Nov 24, 2012
    Lodz, Poland
    I'm planning to change my cab and amp configuration - At the moment I have BH800 cab and Hartke 410xl cab.

The truth is I don't like the cab a lot, as it's too trebbly for my taste. I like the amp but I grown fond of the new Mesa D-800 amp and I'd like to switch it for mesa.

I'd like to match mesa cabs for the amp and I'm wondering which one do I need. I need the rig for the practice and small venue gigs (like 50-80ppl max).

I really like the 2x10 cab but I'm afraid it's 1/2 of my current Hartke (thought the mesa is neodymium - does the diffrecence is significant ?). The alternative is to go 2x12 but I dislike the dimensions of the cab, a little.

What would you suggest ?

2. BigBobbyBass

BigBobbyBass

Jan 23, 2015
    2 subway 1-12's

bass nitro likes this.
  3. M4verick

M4verick

Nov 24, 2012
    Lodz, Poland
    Yeah ... well I'd try to stick with 1 cab configuration, if possible

4. BigBobbyBass

BigBobbyBass

Jan 23, 2015
    If you can make it with just a 2-10, go ahead. I've never found it to be enough.

5. Mesa Powerhouse 2x12

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  6. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    The Subway cabs are awesome and very light. However as formerly dedicated matched cab (15s) user, I now run a Subway 115/112 stack as they were designed to play well together.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    bass nitro, /\/\3phist0 and chaosMK like this.
  7. BigBobbyBass

BigBobbyBass

Jan 23, 2015
    Another plus to the subway 12's is 30 lbs a piece rather than 80 for the PH212..

bass nitro likes this.
  8. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    imo the new mesa sounded amazing with two 115s, much like my mesa d180 with two orange 115s

9. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I am a huge fan of the PH112 and would take it over the 68lb 2x10 any day (which I also owned).

10. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! DHDIK? Supporting Member

I own a 112/115/D800 stack.
    Played the 112 at a gig in a big room as a standalone, before I took delivery of the 115.
    It was big and clear sounding the equal of my
    EA VL210 . The 115 as a stand alone kills also.
    That tiny little 112 drew stares and comments.
    The tiny footprint in verticle orientation is great for small stages. For rehearsal, it's a one trip deal bass, head, cab, mic stand.

The tone is big and meaty, I usually hate tweeters, but I love the horn on these cabs.
    Trebley is not what you get out of these.
    Wide spectrum even fullness with tight and present bottom without boom.

I have run my Rumble V3 500 head on these cabs and it too sounds killer.

bass nitro likes this.
  11. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! DHDIK? Supporting Member

The SW112 is a slight redesign of the powerhouse 112

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021