Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what size is this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by soundsailer, Feb 8, 2006.

1. The vibrating string length is 38 1/2" from bridge to nut
    and the overall height of the bass is 68".

Is this bass a 1/2, it's smaller then a 3/4 right?

2. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
  3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    As Bob mentions, the modern 4/4 listing is nothing like a real 4/4 of yesterday. I have Basses larger in most of his 4/4 #s if not all of them and they are still only 7/8ths sized Basses. A sticky would mean that this is a real measurement chart for all Basses to be measured and it is Not at all in my Opinion.

4. I guess that makes my 4/4 bass imaginary.....;) But that one that's asked about is a half-sized bass. There sure is an awful lot of good information (including the "modern" size chart) on the Gollihur links page. It is sort of like a big sticky itself. Not to get off topic, but I have to ask of our members: How big (measure it) is your 4/4 bass (if you think you have one)?????

5. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I think the first Bass is 1/2 sized.

4/4 is a matter of opinion. I have a 4/4 case that will not fit either of two different 7/8ths I have. It does fit some 7/8ths though. I also have a 3/4 case from the same company that won't fit two of my 3/4 Basses either but a 3/4 case from another company does fit it.

I was recently looking for a case for two of my Basses and ended up with a Bobelock 7/8ths with a 3" extended head. It will barely fit on the body and height as well but the 4/4 case they show is way too wide. Some companies have a 50" body spec for the 4/4 case. Size is so objective when you consider Body length, bout widths, upper Bout shoulder shape, neck length for scrolls long and short and with or without extension.

When I first looked at my Prescott b4 buying it, they called it a 4/4 Bass. Then we found out it had been cut down as well. If that's the case, then what size was it before?

I think large 7/8th and small 4/4s are on the fence.

Here's two oldies with 56-58" body lengths. What size are these?

http://www.kean.edu/~ascelba/main p... wont need to be updated/Marongoni Busan.html
    http://www.kean.edu/~ascelba/main pages/pages that probably wont need to be updated/tononi.html

6. Ken, how do you find these things ??? These are both so unique!! Can you show us some more (Pretty please ??)

When they say "body length from the neck inset", does this mean measuring from the edge of the top plate where it meets the bottom of the heel? If that is the case, both of these have rather long bodies compared to the string stop and bout dimensions as well as rib depth. I really have to wonder about the reported dimensions, particularly the string heights which don't seem to match what is shown in the photos. These are both listed as 1.8 inches "G string to fingerboard". While there is no profile view of the Busan, the Tononi clearly has a height much less than 1.8 inches. I think that must be a mistake. Though it still seems a bit high for what is pictured, I could believe 1.8 cm. That measurement on mine varies with the seasons from about 4.5-6mm. I know; - I should put bridge adjusters on this year.

Just from rough measurements on my computer screen, the reported body length and string stop proportions indicate that the Tononi's dimensions are correct, but the Busan appears to have a body only a little longer than the string stop, more like 46", which is more typical. It seems these reported dimensions are not to be trusted entirely.

The Tononi is unusual, and I would say that the long body makes it a 4/4, even if the string stop is a little short, and the bouts and rib depth more usual;- but the Busan just seems like a typical 3/4 instrument (in dimension) considering the body is probably about 10" shorter than reported.

As far as cases go, I have a "dimensionally challenged" instrument also. I had to use a 7/8 size (but it is truly huge everywhere) Reunion Blues case to fit the overall length of my Georgiev (Kremona-Bulgaria) which is supposedly a 4/4, but is more similar in body size to the 7/8 Hungarian bass that you (K.S.) converted recently to a 5 string. I think yours is larger at the bottom bout and mine at the top, but overall the sizes are similar. That case would easily accommodate a 76" tall DB with a 30" lower bout. Without getting something custom made, it was the best I could do to get the necessary length. It's a great case so I have no complaints (I just groan a little when I lift it with the bows and books and cords, and music stand in all the zipper pockets). Well at least I only have to make one trip.....;)