Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What size/type of PA do you use on your gigs? Check all that apply.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IvanMike, May 22, 2005.

1. Small - Only offers vocal support, maybe acoustic guitar support

24 vote(s)
    51.1%
  2. Med- supports miced guitars, keys, light drum reinforecement

26 vote(s)
    55.3%
  3. Large - provides full support for Drums and Bass to Front of House

15 vote(s)
    31.9%
  4. Large - Full Front of house and can provide full stage monitoring for Bass if needed.

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I decided to post this poll (which is a check all that apply, so be sure to do so before you hit reply), after hearing about how good players have it in Turkey from Andy Daventry in my "reality check" thread. Andy and I have exchanged pleasent PMs, and it seems we really do live in two different worlds.

Anyhow, this poll won't be about PAs available in clubs, (but another one will be). This one's about what you have available to you in your band (or bands), and could include what the band owns, rents, or regularly hires a soundman to provide.

I figured this would satisfy my curiosity about what we are using for PAs, and mayeb give some % stats. I may end up running a second almost identical poll where you have to choose just one answer, the answer being the type of PA you have available the most often, but for now i want to see the whole picture.

So check out the options, check all that apply from the list above and thanks!

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Where are the options sir??? :)

3. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I dont think the poll is available but to answer your question
    We are a 6 pc and use two Peavy XR series powered mixers and two Bag End TA5000 C 15"cabs for the mains and two EV floor monitors. It works very well for us.

4. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well they're available now, stupid furum software apparently posts the thread before you enter the poll options......... :rolleyes:

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Full support. While I CAN get bass through the monitors, I still prefer just to use my amp, tone is better that way and I have full control over levels during the set. My drummer usually likes a little of my bass in his monitor, though, along with some kick drum.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Most of my last few bands had either small or medium for use at rehearsals. One band we had a huge PA but just ran the monitor system for rehearsals.

My last gig was an angry acoustic rock thing and I helped the Singer/Acoustic dude pick out a little PA for his vox and guitar (JBL, QSC, Yamaha). I'm building a similar system for myself currently... Tiny deck (Peavey PV6 for now), my Crown CE1000, an xover and a reverb/compressor multi thing (looking for the right deal on eBay), a pair of mini12 for subs and some 10" 2ways for mids and highs (maybe the molded Peavey till I can swing some BagEnds). It'll be mostly for Backyard BBQ jams here at my place and for general small duty stuff that pops up in my circle. I want the ability to have the stuff have other uses and/or be able to stack up in my closet when I don't need it.

The house owns what I generally play through at gigs.

7. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    First three options for me....

I personally have way too much PA equipment. I am not a big fan of piping anything but voc's and maybe acoustic guitar through the monitors. Even when a larger system is available, I'd rather the soudman just concentrate of FOH and let us set our amps as personal monitors. That way I have control over what I hear and don't need to bother the soundman.

Honestly though, I usually wind up running the board myself from onstage while playing. :scowl:

8. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    been there done that!!!!!!!!!!!

way too many times. I undertand the scowl and i feel your pain.

recently i played a gig with a new band of mine at a venue that had a medium pa at the place. they didnt have anyone to run it, so of course i did it. the board was to the side of the stage. we only ran vocals thru it. The mains were kinda crummy, and boomy. i had to do some eq tweaking to get rid of the mud and had to jack up the levels as it was pretty underpowered to boot. funny thign was, a lot of regulars who were musicians were there and came up to us afterthe 1st set and told us that was the best that the pa has ever sounded there and were we using our own? :D

it pays to know what you're doing.......... :cool:

9. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    My band has a nice PA
    Mackie board
    JBL's tops & subs
    four no name monitors
    al the EQ's cross overs.....
    ligts

10. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Unfortunately I'll have to disagree with that one. For every good soundman I've run across, I've seen three or so crummy ones. There are no where near enough competent sound techs, but there are plenty of hacks pulling in checks. :( Oh well, makes me appreciate the great ones.

Seriously though, I think every musician should spend some time doing a little sound reinforcement work. Helps immensely in feeling your spot in the mix.

11. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Small- Vocals, Keys, Bass Drum. No monitors. God Bless the few places we play/ bands we play with that actually have a decent PA.

12. Luckily for me I own the stuff I usually use...

4 JBL SRX 4732 Mains Cabs
    4 JBL SRX 4719 Dual 18 Subs
    2 JBL JRX 112 Side fills
    8 JBL MP 415 Monitor Wedges typically use 5 or 6 (can be used as fills or "Mini" mains as well)
    2 Meyer PSM-2 Stage Wedges (GREAT MONITORS!!!)
    dbx Driveracks
    Crown and Crest Power Amps (a buttload worth!!)
    one of my groups uses in ears so I have a Shure 600 series with E-5's in Custom Molds
    Lexicon, TC Electronic, dbx, Klark-Teknik, etc. outboard
    2 Midas Venice 32 Channel Consoles
    Racks for everything!!

In other words, I can do about 3,500-5,000 OUTSIDE in a festival type environment, ANY club I've ever been in or the B Stage of any large concert forum with no sweat. I have done over 7,500 outside with this rig and gotten mad compliments for the act.....

On the other hand, a LOT of the time we could get by with Half (which we typically do) of the main system OR we stick a pair of the MP415's on each side on a single 4719 Sub and the 2 main vocalists each get a Meyer and we are off to the races....

Lately, I have been running the sound from the stage (as well as doing the monitor mix, a live to 2 track mix into an Alesis Masterlink, and sometimes a 24 track record onto an Alesis HD24 , ALL while playing bass at the same time) I typically send a MONO feed from the board to a single MP415 which I use to get my mix as I go....on occasion if the room is particularly nice I will take a stereo feed out into the Inears and get a good mix during the first couple of songs (while playing!!) and then mix from the MONO MP415 or the Meyer for the rest of the night (I check the 2 track at the first break to see what I've got and its usually right on...) Needless to say this gets busy but it is very doable....I get 2 cuts as well!!

Peace,

T