1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What size?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by B8ssMan89, Nov 3, 2005.

1. I hope to get an upright bass soon. What size should I get, since Im starting out? Should I go for a 3/4? Or a full sized 4/4?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i see no reason to go through the hassle of a 4/4 bass unless you need it for a specific reason. 95% of the basses out there are 3/4. Now that I own one, I see why. It's plenty big!

3. Well depends how big you are. I'm 6' 183 pounds and i went for the 4/4 (which is actually a large 7/8, but they dont make true 4/4's very often anymore). It suits me perfectly, I'm able to play it fine. I also use a 3/4 size when I'm at school. That works well too, although it's not as full sounding. Since endpoles are adjustable I dont really have any problems. True it's easier to wrap your arms around a 3/4, but yeah. It really depends on your preference. Go try a few out, see which sounds best. Don't rule anything out based on size alone. Hope that helped.

4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Since you are starting out, your budget is probably not more than $3,000, and getting a decent 7/8 size in the price range is tough. Most people play 3/4 size. And most beginner instruments are 3/4, with a 41 1/2 or 42 inch string length. A good setup is more important than the size of the instrument, in this price range.

How tall are you?